• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: OT: Considering life after music.

Share/Bookmark

OT: Considering life after music.

Well I am starting to face the fact that I can't continue in music, this is rather hard after playing and performing for almost fourteen years, before trying to land work composing.

This year has been the hardest and I have given my all to it, I have never been able to find anyone to help get me gigs either corporate or in the Education system etc.

So I am going back to a day job, my qualifications are poor, but my experience with a large number of different industries is good.

After so long out of the working for someone else world I feel I can still only land a rather limited job and salary..

So do I make a continued push or give up? What else can I try to make it work?

Thanks for any ideas

Simon
    www.sounds-and-images.co.uk

And now also at Flickr!

http://flickr.com/photos/sounds-and-images/

www.myspace.com/simonfielder

NorthernSounds.NET.
    View Simon Fielder's Profile at NorthernSounds.net

Re: OT: Considering life after music.

Why do you have to give up on music? You can do both. Work the day job, and still get the music gigs on the side.

I'm afraid that in life its not "what you know" its "who you know" that counts.
    You need an intro somehow and I'm afraid thats all down to luck. Don't give up though, make your own luck.
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

I have had face to face meetings with some of the major ad agencies, but I feel that it is the time to do something new. I have flogged myself to bits trying here and there with gigs across the UK and in Europe too.

The thing is if I go into full time employment again I feel that I won't be able to keep following up contacts and keep pushing in daytime hours..

I am still writing music and just need to find the right thing...

And now also at Flickr!

NorthernSounds.NET.

Simon,

I feel your pain. I quit playing live many years ago fearing I would be broke my entire life. Now I have a great job but little time to devote to writing. Ironically, when I do get a song out, it is the best stuff I have written. But now I have the added dilemna of no record companeis to flog my pop songs to. THen to top it off I read about a ton of people that write music for a living and hate the crazy people they do it for because, as you know, "everyone has an opinion".

That said, the corporate world is full of wankers too.

Good luck!

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Quote Originally Posted by dpasdernick View Post
    Simon,

I feel your pain. I quit playing live many years ago fearing I would be broke my entire life. Now I have a great job but little time to devote to writing. Ironically, when I do get a song out, it is the best stuff I have written. But now I have the added dilemna of no record companeis to flog my pop songs to. THen to top it off I read about a ton of people that write music for a living and hate the crazy people they do it for because, as you know, "everyone has an opinion".

That said, the corporate world is full of wankers too.

Good luck!

Darren
    Thanks for you post Nice to know I am not alone, I guess I doubt my own ability in this too some where....

And don't I know it about the corporate world LOL....

And now also at Flickr!

NorthernSounds.NET.

This is not an uncommon situation. It's not a pleasant one but many times a reality.

Only you can determine if there will be sufficient time to persue a career in music, it will largely be determined by the type of position you take.
    Perhaps your new job will allow you time to continue pursuing gigs or whatever it is you wish to do with your music.

BUT.... Don't give up if that's what you really want to do.
    You are in control over what your determination level is, no one else.

In the worse case scenereo you will always be able to write, record or sequence music and if music is a passion of yours that's not all that bad, is it?

Success is important to many, although many are obsessed with being successful musically. For me, I don't really care. Music is a passion and something I could not live without. As long as I can switch on my computers, open up Cubase and compose, I'm content.
    I get the same reaction from picking up my guitar.

Think about this if things get tough.
    Is music a passion or not?

I wish you all the luck in the world but never forget that you can create.
    2 X Intel i7 920 sys. 12 gigs Ram. XP & Win 7 64
    Cubase 5. Kontakt 4. EWQL C.C.C. (Play)
    Vienna Instruments SE & Plus. Symphobia. GPO.
    RME HDSPe AIO KRK V8s Avalon Vt-747sp
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

My two passions. Music and Cooking.
    Both require just the right ingredients....

I'm afraid the life after music road comes with the same pitfalls as the music road.
    It's not what you know, it's who you know, plus a lot of luck.
    edit: someone already said that

The best you can do is just follow your heart.
    Your brain doesn't have a heart, so don't let it make these types of decisions
    It's your life to live to the happiest.
    It's up to you to make the best of it.

If music is your life and your love, stick to it.
    If not, move on to what your heart wants to do

Another thing,
    I wouldn't be where I'm at now had I actually listened to my parents in regards to pursuing music growing up. My heart told me otherwise and I stuck to it. They could have actually been right but I'm happy, and that is the bottom line. I did what I loved to do.

Funny thing is that I am not feeling own at all, I just feel that I will never get anywhere as time goes by and at 36 feeling that failing just is not an option. I have had a good run and have performed in some prime places solo to huge numbers of people.

I have breathed, eaten and slept music for almost a decade and a half, and this has been my worst year financially and gig wise. I am not bothered about the gigs so much, just not having a purpose to what I am doing.

I am trying to write music in new genres and styles and for the time being will continue to do so.

I thrive on a challenge and think I would continue, if I knew what to try next and what I need to go and learn.

Thanks for your two penneth Chalfont.

Simon

And now also at Flickr!

NorthernSounds.NET.

I think it's almost impossible to enjoy making music for any company, Media is all about business in the end...and not someone trying to pour their heart out into the their art. There's always a guy sitting at the top of the pyramide with his cigar and ferrari who thinks:"couldn't care less about what the music sounds like as long as the medium gets me even richer".... But there's also people doing what they love but are working under someone who controls the money.

Personally I would work with someone who wants to talk and communicate with the composer to really nail the score..Who cares and feel where you're coming from..who doesn't just say: "I want really cool music" or "make it like John Williams, only better".

The only reason I wan't to make music is by being with great people and learn more,not just about music. And the reason also that I want to do what I love everyday as a job...
    Music is passionate,money is materialistic.

Instead of trying to get :"any kind of gig as long as it's about music".... Find out what you REALLY want,and go for that purpose in mind,and stick with it...never give up..

What's your purpose?

everyone has a dream, a dream is never impossible
    Writing for Disney? Action games?

Image you're the guy to hire a composer.. let's say for a car commercial...and the composer meets you face to face,and he asks if you have "some music gig for me?"....what would you feel?
    Wouldn't this be better?: "hey,I'm really passionate about making music to car commercials,and that's what I love the most" (Purpose,goal, your passion) even though you might not ever done it before.

But yes,luck,not luck,being somewhere at the right time....maybe that guy was one of those:"let's make money" type.and just needing good music and knowing that you will complete the task...and that's where: who knows who kicks in. Unfortunetly

Go Back to forum