• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Capricious Clarinet mm IV

Share/Bookmark

The Capricious Clarinet mm IV

Well, my brother talked me into writing a 4th movement for this set of clarinet solos. He said he felt it should end with a movement that was furious and fast (he used other ords, but this is a family forum!)

So here is Movement IV of "The Capricious Clarinet"

for those that would like to see the score and how it was notated it can be found here:

MM IV Score
    Last edited by wrayer; 08-31-2008 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Added Score
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: The Capricious Clarinet mm IV

Very neat piece. I hope your player can circular breathe for that first phrase (and its recurrences later on). Also, the occasional double stops threw me since my ears had gotten accustomed to this being a piece for solo clarinet. Perhaps a grace note for the lower pitch, jumping up to the higher pitch would suffice and keep the listener's illusion intact?

This is my first encounter with this set of pieces. Now I'm going to have to go find the first three.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

Quote Originally Posted by bmdaustin View Post
    Also, the occasional double stops threw me since my ears had gotten accustomed to this being a piece for solo clarinet.
    Thanks for listening. Yes the piece will require technical accuity. My brother plays clarinet well and feels it is attainable. The double stops you heard are actually multiphonics (a type of controled 'honk' on a clarinet (or other woodwund instrument.)

Challenge #10 Winner

Bill

I love this as a final movement. This is full of energy and really sets off the other 3.

The piano work is great in this one and goes perfectly with the fast and furious Clarinet.

Easily my favorite movement of them all!!

Thank your brother

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

I'll agree with your brother, Bill (just this once, though;
    or he and I'd have nothing to argue over)... this last
    movement closes off the suite beautifully.

A very impressive tour de force with these four movements,
    my friend -- fascinating, compelling, and downright
    interesting writing that really jumps the high bar.

Congratulations on a fine achievement!

Always my best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Well, someone will agree with my brother, mark this day down. We have lived a lifetime of disagreeing (more fun that way) Joking aside, when he suggested a final "bat out of h---" movement to cap it, I, too, had to agree. I will try for a live performance of this next spring.

Thanks again for listening David. I always enjoy your comments.

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    Bill

I love this as a final movement. This is full of energy and really sets off the other 3.

The piano work is great in this one and goes perfectly with the fast and furious Clarinet.

Easily my favorite movement of them all!!

Thank your brother

Ron
    I am truly glad you enjoyed this movement, Ron. It by far was the easiest and came out of me from nowhere completing it in about 2 hours. I kind of borrowed the technique for the piano scoring that I used in my trumpet solos and it does seem to work better.

Thanks for listening Ron.

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum