• Register
  • Help

Topic: My legato pieces sound muddled when using legato in overture se

Share/Bookmark

My legato pieces sound muddled when using legato in overture se

I'm not sure what happened recently tried the new overture demo. All of sudden using the overture SE 3.5 all my playbacks sound horrible and muddled every time I use the legato function. Taking out the slurs seems to fix it but the playback isn't smooth.

Not sure what happened.
    Chef Marco Teti
    www.TheSwordLord.com
    (Fine Replicated swords)

Re: My legato pieces sound muddled when using legato in overture se

Hi Marco,

Any chance you can post a quick MP3 to illustrate what it's doing?

Also have you updated to 3.6.1? It's available as a free download on the geniesoft website. Perhaps there's a bugfix to work it out.

Best,
    Reegs

Are you using KP2? I experienced something similar. Anytime I tried to render a string line legato fashion it sounded terrible, muddy as you say. The only way I can describe it was something like a weird phase-shifted decaying echo on every note. Only the strings using pedal CC64 would do this, the winds and brass using the same controller seemed fine. After initial load, I think the first pass was usually fine, but successive passes would have the weirdness. I really can't see how Overture has anything to do with it, but stranger things have happened in software hell. I fell back to KP1 and now patiently await the GPO port to Aria.

I experienced simmilar things with KP2 in Overture4, so I too switched back to using KP1 with GPO. It works much better, and it is much more stable. What's more is that all the expressions play back properly with KP1, where as with KP2 they simply don't work..... I use KP2 in Finale quite successfully though.....

One thing worth asking: Are you sure that in the «Instrument Options» dialogue box in KP2 you have selected «CC Only»? If not, that could cause a problem.

Good luck.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Thanks guys for the response. i have the 3.6.1 update. Its so frustrating that every piece that I've done plays muddled. I have a sample of a new piece with the first part with the legato slur the second with the legato slur in the 1st violins and then the last part with no legato slur.

No I didn't use K2 player as it couldn't find the plugins or something and it doesn't work with the Overture SE.

http://theswordlord.com/library/Test1_0001.mp3

I'm just think That I might have to uninstall everything and try again. I just don't want to go through the whole system of getting Validation key etc again.
    Chef Marco Teti
    www.TheSwordLord.com
    (Fine Replicated swords)

You know what! I jsut put all my overtuer files on anther drive, uninstalled and reinstalled again. Tweaking newer pieces work fine but copying my older pieces or reopening them again has the same effect. Weird. Not a bad thing as I can tweak things a bit as far as dynamics and as well as fine tuning. Thanks again.
    Chef Marco Teti
    www.TheSwordLord.com
    (Fine Replicated swords)

Marco, what I heard in that example sounds like stuck midi notes. Check Overture's piano roll for note overlaps and other conflicts that might prevent Overture from properly sending "note off" commands to Kontakt. Using the Legato feature to stretch note durations could contribute to this problem.

Best,
    Reegs

It sounds like you haven't set GPO KP1 | Options | "Sustain/Sostenuto pedal mode" to either "no sustain/sostenuto operation but MIDI controller" or "no sustain/sostenuto operation but MIDI switch". With the two other options, CC#64=127 (slur) will sustain the playing notes until CC#64=0 (end of slur). The same thing can happen with GPO KP2, if Instrument Options | Controller | "MIDI CC#64 (Sustain pedal) acts as" is not set to "Controller only".

Go Back to forum