• Register
  • Help

Topic: EXS24 capabilities and converting EXS libraries

Share/Bookmark

EXS24 capabilities and converting EXS libraries

I have never used EXS24 but I would like to get some input from folks who are familiar with it.

What I was wondering about is the EXS24 capabilities. From what I understand it's a pretty vanilla sampler?

The reason for asking is that I'm considering buying libraries in the EXS24 format and convert them to GIGs so I can use them with LinuxSampler. Will I loose anything in the process or will the converted GIG be comparable to the EXS24?

My guess is that I won't loose anything and that they will be comparable.
    Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, LinuxSampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland JX-10, 4GB RAM Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux 64 bit

Re: EXS24 capabilities and converting EXS libraries

It depends on the library, Apparently Giga's programming conventions are a little loosey-goosey so in some cases, all the programming comes through and in some cases, only some of it. But sonically, it is equal to or better IMHO.

Also, it is wonderfully CPU efficient and integrated into Logic.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

I'd be careful..because EXS's architecture is very simple.
    It is great at straight sample playback, and very efficient it that as well.

But the filter is simple and it doesn't allow different filters for different layers.
    Also, cross fading is tricky.

So in general, anything that just uses keyswitches should translate well; any patches with x-fading between sample layers might not be so successful.
    Also, afaik the EXS can't do random sample alternation.

Last but not least; I wouldn't agree with the quality comment. Yes, samples that play back at their original pitch are fine, but anything that is pitched might not be the same quality wise, as the EXS doesn't do any filtering/anti-aliasing on pitched samples.

My experience however is with the EXS until V6, so there might have been changes under the bonnet since then...though I haven't heard about that

IMHO, Kontakt 2/3 is a pretty good Giga alternative.

Cheers,

Joe
    Joris de Man - Composer | Sound Designer - www.jorisdeman.com | Killzone 2 soundtrack now available on iTunes link

Ok, it sounds like EXS24 is pretty vanilla (or "inferior" if I wanted a flamewar ;-) ) so using Chickensys Translator to turn them into GIGs shouldn't be a problem (also I'm used to fix/enhance the programming in converted libraries manually).

LinuxSampler is my "meat and potato" sample player (it's possible to run Kontakt under Wine using WineASIO, but it isn't as stable as I would like it). The problem is availability of libraries, especially now when TASCAM have given up on Gigastudio and I fear sample developers (the few who are left) will deprecate their Gigastudio libraries leaving new LinuxSampler users stranded. That's why I'm interested in the possibility of converting EXS24 libraries to GIGs as an option.
    Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, LinuxSampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland JX-10, 4GB RAM Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux 64 bit

Go Back to forum