• Register
  • Help

Topic: delay when recording on Overture

Share/Bookmark

delay when recording on Overture

I am using GPO I and Overture SE. My keyboard is a Roland-300SX.
    1. When recording in Overture, the notes coming out of my computer monitors are a fraction of a second delayed from when I press the keys on the keyboard (too late). I work around this by deactivating 'keyboard through' and listening via my keyboard amp/speaker. However, I only hear the keyboard tone (usually piano) and therefore cannot hear the actual instrument I am recording onto Overture. Is there a solution to this?
    Thank you
    Humdrum

Re: delay when recording on Overture

I don't know about Overture BUT you might want to check your audio latency settings. I use SONAR and have found that 30ms is a serviceable delay. Sometimes I put it at 20 or even 10 if there are very few instruments.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Quote Originally Posted by reberclark View Post
    I don't know about Overture BUT you might want to check your audio latency settings. I use SONAR and have found that 30ms is a serviceable delay. Sometimes I put it at 20 or even 10 if there are very few instruments.
    Thanks for the swift reply. I cannot find 'audio' or 'latency' in the HELP feature of Overture -I will try to find it on a website or a tutorial but perhaps you have some idea of where such controls are found in something like Overture.
    Humdrum

Your Audio setting? ASIO may make a difference, at least if you have an Audio Card with that kind of driver interface. If not, and I am not user if this helps, there is such thing as "Asio for everybody" or similar name. Somebody else knows the exact tech. info about this?

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Your Audio setting? ASIO may make a difference, at least if you have an Audio Card with that kind of driver interface. If not, and I am not user if this helps, there is such thing as "Asio for everybody" or similar name. Somebody else knows the exact tech. info about this?

Raymond
    I installed ASIO4all and the delay was fixed - then sometimes I got no sound and then other stuff didn't work (metronome for a short time) and then it all worked perfectly..... I'll see how things resolve but maybe more memory is the solution.
    Humdrum

Buffer sizes in both the ASIO settings in Overture and your driver/soundcard?

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Buffer sizes in both the ASIO settings in Overture and your driver/soundcard?

Raymond
    Use of the ASIO4all driver has solved the delay problem. The ASIO4all buffer was and still is set to 512 as GPO recommends; sample rate is 44100 also as per GPO instructions.

I would still like to check out the sound card to see what it is set at. I checked the computer audio hardware details for the sound card settings but could not find a reference to 'buffer'. Any advice from you about finding and setting sound card buffer would be appreciated.

What is the method for checking if the computer has adequate memory?

Thank you
    Jonathan aka Humdrum

Which soundcard? Adequate memory. Not sure about this. It is not only the amount of memory but also the speed of the processor that makes the difference. I ran into trouble using Sonar when I only had 1 Gb with 3.16 Ghz single processor. Now I have a Dual Core 2.xx (forgot) with 4 Gb memory and THAT makes a difference, thought for heavy duty work I have to reset the buffers and the option "Use multiple processor" (or alike). But since you do things with Overture, I am not sure about those figures.

What I did to raise the power of the computer was eliminating all "not running but setting there and eating memory" procesess, including network connections e.a. (when you have some permanent Internet connection, just unplug the cable, because stopping and/or deleting processes like Firewalls, can be dangerous when you still have your network running)

Another question? What is a Humdrum doing in Alaska?

Raymond

Another question? What is a Humdrum doing in Alaska?

Raymond[/quote]

One by one the glitches are being sorted out; I appreciate any assistance coming back from this site.

I'm in the Northwest Territories in Canada not Alaska.....because the Katrina of industrialization is about to make landfall here and there's much work to do in anticipation of its forces.

Musically, the plan is to incorporate orchestral parts into local recordings - mostly simple pop genre where orchestral touches will add new dimensions.

Jonathan

Go Back to forum