• Register
  • Help

Topic: Which Orchestral Sounds are best for *live* use? (Also, issues with glissandi)

Share/Bookmark

Which Orchestral Sounds are best for *live* use? (Also, issues with glissandi)

I'm going to be running a 32-note midi pedalboard, an 88-key digital piano, and one of these:

Haken Audio - Continuum Overview

What orchestral sounds would be best for live use in such a situation? Obviously I can't manually tweak articulations and so on after the fact, but I'd like as much real-time functionality as is possible.
    Obviously I won't get totally 'authentic' orchestral textures but that's ok. However I wouldn't mind being able to get something half-accurate when doing score-reading on this instrument.

The other big issue is glissandi and pitch-bends−I'm not familiar at all with how the programming works on the various orchestral libraries, so I'm not sure if they will choke when I start pitch bending all over the place on the continuum with string sounds, for instance−ideas?

I'll have it set up with a computer keyboard within reach, so in addition to mappping samples onto different key-regions/dynamic-regions/timbre-zones (for the continuum) I can hit single-stroke qwerty keys for patch changes.

Re: Which Orchestral Sounds are best for *live* use? (Also, issues with glissandi)

Quote Originally Posted by adamgolding View Post
    However I wouldn't mind being able to get something half-accurate when doing score-reading on this instrument.
    Check out XSample Chamber Ensemble for both live playability and extensive score mapping. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your perspective), this product was originally released as a Kontakt 2 library, but has since been upgraded to a Kontakt Player (i.e., standalone) product. This is good if you don't have K2 or K3, but not so good if you want ultimate control over the library contents. You can still create your own patches if you do have K2/K3, but you don't have 100% control over the content. It doesn't sound like you want to be doing any major sample library surgery anyway...

The other big issue is glissandi and pitch-bends−I'm not familiar at all with how the programming works on the various orchestral libraries, so I'm not sure if they will choke when I start pitch bending all over the place on the continuum with string sounds, for instance−ideas?
    They're all different. You'll have to dig into the specific playback mechanisms used for the various libs -- e.g., VSL, PLAY, Kontakt-based, Aria (when GPOA is available ), and even MOTU, HALion, etc. Lots of different playback engines, so whichever route you go make sure you fully understand the programmability of the product so you can remap controllers as necessary at the patch level.

BTW, you'll likely also need to merge in some more traditional MIDI controllers, like mod wheel and perhaps volume pedal, into your rig. The more advanced products will make heavy use of as many MIDI controllers as you have available for all sorts of realtime parameter mappings and modulation routings. Instead of a computer keyboard, I'd suggest a little 25-key controller that also gives you a modwheel and a few knobs and sliders for ultimate control. You'll also need those 25 keys for "keyswitches", which is still a major component of every large library today (of course, you could somehow map qwerty keys to MIDI keys for those keyswitches, but you don't get the knobs and sliders with the qwerty keyboard). You'll need to research the software necessary to merge your MIDI sources, unless the Continuum includes a hardware unit to do that.

Re: Which Orchestral Sounds are best for *live* use? (Also, issues with glissandi)

Also..don't discount Wallander's Brass and Woodwinds; they lend themselves extremely well to live control as they're not samplebased, and the sounds are very expressive.

Cheers,

Joe
    Joris de Man - Composer | Sound Designer - www.jorisdeman.com | Killzone 2 soundtrack now available on iTunes link

Quote Originally Posted by Joris de Man View Post
    Also..don't discount Wallander's Brass and Woodwinds; they lend themselves extremely well to live control as they're not samplebased, and the sounds are very expressive.

Cheers,

Joe
    I completely agree with this suggestion. There are some folks over on that site's forum that have posted stuff done live. The live examples are in a jazz setting but that should still give you an idea of what the people are doing.
    Best regards,

Little Red King
    http://luridcactus.com/MusicPage.html

Hakken Continuum w/ Orchestral Libraries should be interesting. I have heard them used w/ Kyma Capybara's and it provides control that goes far beyond a Ribbon Controller for Glissando movements.

Please keep us posted.

I am dying to hear the XSample as a VSTi. I have the first works for Gigastudio and they were recorded really well. For larger string ensembles where the ultimate control is required I could only imagine how well VSL would work.

Good Luck, it sounds like a complex endeavor.
    JimmyV

Quote Originally Posted by scope4live View Post
    I am dying to hear the XSample as a VSTi. I have the first works for Gigastudio and they were recorded really well.
    There are some demos of "live" and "scored" (Finale HP) on the xsample site.

Sorry, I should have said hands on, or live.

Gotta feel it before I buy. Someday we will have a facility for such hands on demos here in Las Vegas. GtrCenter sells software to somebody everytime I am forced to go there. ( My son loves the place ). One would think it would increase sales?

Thanks For The Reply Though.
    JimmyV

Go Back to forum