• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: pianos that support microtuning?

Share/Bookmark

pianos that support microtuning?

Hi,

I make music in Just Intonation and am looking for the best piano I can get that supports microtuning.
    Does anybody have any experience with this and can tell me which ones do or don't support microtuning or any potential problems I might run into?

Many thanks!

Re: pianos that support microtuning?

Not to split hairs, but you may have a broader selection than you thought.

Just intonation tuning is typically implemented on the synth/sampler side rather than recorded that way with the samples themselves. So if you are talking about the standalone libraries, rather than the ones that are tied to a player, then it's worth finding out whether the sampler supports just intonation either natively or with a scrip/plug-in.

Can anyone help out with that side of the info.?

Hi Per,

Thanks for your reply!
    Yes I was wondering about both standalone libraries and libraries that come with a player.

I know the Kontakt sampler supports microtuning with a script, but I'm wondering if this works ok with all piano libraries.
    I don't have much knowledge on how these libraries are set up in Kontakt and if I might run into trouble with for instance ambience layers or something like that?

As for libraries that come with a player.
    Some libraries come with Kompakt player but I found some have disabled the script feature so I can't use microtuning with those? Or do all included Kompakt players have this disabled?
    And the custom players like EWQL I couldn't find microtuning in there either? Sent a mail to Eest West but haven't received a reply yet.

Then there's another option to do microtuning which could work with all pianos and this is by automated midi pitch bend for every note.
    Scala has the ability to do this by relaying every note to a seperate midi channel (max polyphone 16 notes this way because of 16 midi channels) and then inluding a pitch bend on every channel for every note.
    However Scala assumes the midi instrument has it's pitch bend range set to +-2 semitones. I couldn't find if any of the pianos have this set by default or if the custom players alow you to set the pitch bend range or have pitch bend at all.
    Would be really helpfull if someone can tell me if you have a good piano library if it has pitch bend and set to what range. For instance does EWQL support pitch bend?

Thanks!

Hi

The Garritan Steinway supports microtuning through the help of ARIA's engine-native support of the Scala file format.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~huygensf/scala/

You can create your own scales and import them in Steinway, and in the case where the scale is not based on the separation of the octave into 12, you can choose the base key for the intervals.

Cheers
    David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montreal. http://www.plogue.com

Take a look at Scala microtuning/temperament software for the Mac. I believe there are more than a thousand "Ready-to-wear" scales which can be customized by "tonal center". Custom scales can also be input. Conversion is via midi file, with pitch data being converted via pitchbend... so assuming your sample data allows for pitch bend, one can make the conversion. The other issue is the "tonal validity" of the original sample set. For example there is at least one sample set which owing to the performers skill level is virtually unusable due to the fact that the original sample set was not performed using equal temperament. Best wishes, Earl

Quote Originally Posted by David (plogue) View Post
    Hi

The Garritan Steinway supports microtuning through the help of ARIA's engine-native support of the Scala file format.

Cheers
    Great
    This is what I was hoping for.
    I did have a look at the Garritan before but somehow missed this feature
    Thanks a lot!

Some of the more advanced electronic keyboards also support microtuning for their built-in sounds. Best to check out their online manuals if you're thinking of getting one. For instance, my Kawai MP8 allows selecting between a number of different temperaments including the pure major and minors which I think are similar to "just"... and also has user-defined slots into which you can input tables from the Wilkinson book for instance to define more unusual ones like Carlos' . See page 40 of the online MP8 manual here: http://www.kawai.de/service/mp8ii_e.pdf ... Also see page 35 of the Yamaha CP33 manual here: http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/...CP33_en_om.pdf

Howard

Quote Originally Posted by mdevelde View Post
    As for libraries that come with a player.
    Some libraries come with Kompakt player but I found some have disabled the script feature so I can't use microtuning with those? Or do all included Kompakt players have this disabled?
    And the custom players like EWQL I couldn't find microtuning in there either? Sent a mail to Eest West but haven't received a reply yet.
    Well, I don't know whether the new EWQL Play has microtuning or not off the top of my head, but they did advertise microtuning on their earlier Kompakt product "RA".

Just received a reply from East West and thought I'd share it here:

Hey Marcel,

You can adjust the tuning of entire instruments through the Main Menu > Current Instrument > Advanced Properties menu, however
    Pianos does not currently support other tuning systems. We are having scripts written for micro-tuning in an upcoming library
    for rare instruments, however, there isn't any plan to add this to Pianos at this time. It would be very cumbersome to automate
    pitch changes, and not quite sure it's even possible to do accurately.

Regards,
    Jay Coffman

The BDMO takes a unique approach to tuning - it can do floating just intonation. Which means the user can program the temperament so that each individual chord (regardless of the key) has maximum beat free tuning. This approach does not limit the composer to one scale where some chords/interval sound better than others.

Here is an excerpt from the BDMO manual that gives a brief background on tuning and shows how the user can program it (in the sequencer) for maximum flexibility.

http://www.proaudiovault.com/PAV_Con...ing_Manual.pdf

Ernest Cholakis
    Numerical Sound/ProAudioVault
    www.numericalsound.com
    www.proaudiovault.com

Go Back to forum