• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hurrican Gustav

Share/Bookmark

Hurricane Gustav

Here's wishing all of our Forum members a safe haven during the oncoming storm along the Gulf Coast. And, hope your musical activities will be resumed as soon as the worst is over..........

We are thinking about all of you........

Jack
    Last edited by Rhap2; 08-31-2008 at 10:23 PM. Reason: misspelled word
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Re: Hurrican Gustav

Tyler, Texas, where I live, is in the hurricane's path. I am located far enough from the Gulf Of Mexico to be safe...I hope. We'll probably be the recipient of torrential rain and strong wind. Weather forecasters say that it will hang around in our area for forty-eight hours and dump from six to twelve inches of rain on us.

"Raindrops keep falling on my head..."

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

What an oversell on the part of weather forecasters!

After all of the flood warnings concerning the approach of hurricane Gustav to the East Texas area where I live, nothing much happened. We received maybe an inch of rain.

I'm not complaining. It could have been muuuuuccccch worse.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

The hurricane is over Dallas now, it's very pretty and there are some mild wind gusts. I sure hope those big cloud decide to give us some rain.

So happy that the storm did not bring more destruction than
    reported.

My fears were unjustified; or, maybe, because I did have the
    safety of all involved in mind, a miracle happened to make the
    storm less ferrocious..........

Nah, Jack, you don't have that power.................lol
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Actually it brought plenty of destruction to Baton Rouge. All classes at LSU (where I'm pursuing my PhD) have been suspended for a week. I flew out of New Orleans back to Birmingham Last Friday (Aug. 29) and have just now been able to get a flight back. I'm sitting in the airport as I write this.

From what I have heard, much of the city of Baton Rouge is still without power. Debris has made many streets impassable, and water and flood damage afflicts almost 80% of the buildings. It was hit very hard and I don't know why the news hasn't said anything about it.

Matt

Wow! I'm so glad you are OK, Mathew. I don't watch the TV news very much, but have been checking the online news, particularly concerning the hurricane, and have seen nothing about Baton Rouge. They had something about power being out in some areas, only on the day it hit.

Hi Lief

Yes I'm ok. Thanks. I spent the week back in my hometown in Alabama.

I drove around a little the other day to see the damage for myself. Granted a great deal had been cleaned up in the week that I stayed away, but man...

Trees are down all over the place, my car is next to useless there are so many closed roads, NO ONE seems to have power except the university, and the public computers and laptop outlets around campus are in HIGH demand let me tell ya.

The grocery stores and restaraunts are begining to reopen, good thing too because the unavailability of food and water is more than a little unsettling (again I can only imagine what it was like last week). The national guard is here, we see them around frequently. And FEMA is still trying to deliver goods from what I hear. Some people are bracing to go 2-4 weeks without electricity, which means no air conditioning in THIS HEAT. (I've offered for any of my friends to hang out at my on-campus and powered appt if they need to cool off.)

Let me reiterate that I am as happy as anyone else that New Orleans was spared, but there are people here that feel ignored. Baton Rouge was the front line of the aid effort during Katrina, and now this city feels very much to be on its own.

Matt

Matt:

Here's hoping that Ike will spare you and your neighbors
    in Baton Rouge the inconviences resulting from a "large"
    storm.

It must be demoralizing to live in an area hit by hurricanes
    as often as the "Gulf Coast" has experienced recently.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Jack

Go Back to forum