• Register
  • Help

Topic: Creation Station Computers

Share/Bookmark

Creation Station Computers

My PC is acting up in more ways than one and I feel I
    will be needing a new computer in the next few months.

Has anyone purchased a "Creation Statiion Computer" from
    Sweetwater and how is it working out?

Any additional comments will be appreciated. I understand
    that these computers are made for "music" professionals and
    that they are faster and quieter (and less expensive) than
    "off-the-shelf" computers.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Re: Creation Station Computers

Greetings,
    For what it is worth...

The Creation Station PCs are a great option if you are willing to pay the premium. (Make no mistake, you are paying a premium. I can build a box for much less than a Creation Station or any other DAW computer builder and end up with a faster box with more capacity.) They are built solid, Sweetwater uses quality components across the board and in my experience their tech support has been top notch.

That being said, there will be others who have a different opinion, but that is the beauty of the Internet. You can get all sorts of perspectives. I happen to be a Sweetwater fan. I've done business with them for over six years and they have always been stellar. Hence, I have no hesitation to recommend them. If you don't have a sales rep give Carson McClain a ring at extension 1302. I've found him to be great. No pressure to buy and very helpful.

Good luck with your decision. This is a hefty investment so make sure you do what you feel is best for you!

-Kevin

P.S. Ok, I can't stand it, so I have to say it. *Dump* the PC and get a Mac!

Ok, I feel much better now. Whew!
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Kevin, Jack has a Mac Pro,
    He wants to use his PC for samples. He already has an RME audio interface for the PC. So all he needs is a nice computer. There is nothing difficult involved in setting up a computer for audio use.

For people who are scared to death of opening their computer to install things like ram and hard drives... etc., I suppose Sweetwater's computers are strictly convenience. I have heard nothing but good things about them though, and Sweetwater is great!

Now, thinking back to 2004 when I started teaching myself midi stuff, it was necessary to own a Windows PC for Tascam's Gigastudio. Garritan Orchestral Strings relied exclusively on Gigastudio.

A while back I recommended that Jack purchase V-STack, which is a VST host. The convenient thing about V-STack, is that Jack can load up to 16 instances of GPO, JABB, Garritan Steinway and other VST instruments.
    Of course things have changed radically since then.

Jack, At this stage, I would actually recommend that you use your powerful Mac Pro for your instruments right inside Digital Performer and do away with the "two computer" setup. Your Mac Pro is quite capable of sufficiently running many instruments as well as DP. Even if you get to a point where the Mac is starting to bog down, as you already do, you can (freeze) record instruments to audio tracks, and then disable that instruments' instance.

Dan

Thank you all for your recommendations. Using audio samples is
    such an interesting way to produce music, so I will continue to
    investigate all of my possible sources for the optimum setup.

Thanks,

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Before you make a purchase, be sure to consult Scott at www.ADKproaudio.com and Jim at www.studiocat.com. Both specialize in custom audio/MIDI computers at very reasonable prices. Both are great people and will work with you to meet your needs without trying to sell you everything else in their catalog. Sweetwater's Creation Stations are not the only available solution.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

I will add pcaudiolabs. they are building my second one now.

tony h
    tony h
    Master Comp. P5 deluxe intel dual core, Windows XP Pro, 4G ram, HD's=OS Audio, two samples, Cubase 3/4 , GVI Kirk Hunter Concert strings, KH Concert brass, Emerald, Miroslav strings, brass, Quantum Leap brass. DAW and Master comp by pcaudiolabs- Slave Comp for VI only, Gigabyte Intel ,8G ram, ethernet, Windows Vista Ultimatex64, VI Ensemble,VI SE Appasionata strings.

Paul and Tony:

Thanks for your input. It adds much to my analysis of
    what is "out there" for PC electronic musicians.

Will check your suggestions out.

Jack

Go Back to forum