• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT-ish: Hmm... How do I play this thing...

Share/Bookmark

OT-ish: Hmm... How do I play this thing...

Okay, so a few moments ago, my dad, brother and I were at a "Music Swap Meet" outside in the parking lot of a nearby music store. In one of the stalls, a dusty violin (which was kind of weird to see... as the rest of the place were primarily guitars and such) catches my dad's eye. Other than a few scratches here and there and it missing a couple of fine tuners, it doesn't look bad. The seller tells us it was made in Germany, and he's selling it for $125.

Now, I cannot play the violin. My primary instruments are the piano and cello. Though, I do know the very basics, being in the orchestra program at the Middle school, where they teach everyone at once. Well, get this...

My dad buys it for a total of $100, being discounted after making the seller laugh a few times. He says he knows I'll pick it up and learn how to play.

My gosh! After a while of practice and a couple of Google searches -- like how to hold the bow properly -- I can play a few simple melodies. I'm learning!
    string quartet (ˈstriŋ kwȯr-ˈtet) n. a good violinist, a bad violinist, an ex-violinist, and someone who hates violinists, all getting together to complain about composers

Re: OT-ish: Hmm... How do I play this thing...

Haha. xD Inside the violin it said "Antonius Stradiuarius, Cremonenfis Faciebat Anno 17".

I actually almost got my hopes up for a second. Silly me. Googling it, it said there were millions of cheap copies with this label.
    string quartet (ˈstriŋ kwȯr-ˈtet) n. a good violinist, a bad violinist, an ex-violinist, and someone who hates violinists, all getting together to complain about composers

Re: OT-ish: Hmm... How do I play this thing...

Quote Originally Posted by DanielB View Post
    ..... Googling it, it said there were millions of cheap copies with this label.
    Absolutely! When I took up the violin many, many moons ago, just about every beginners' violin was made of 3-ply wood and a softwood fingerboard painted black with a 'Stradivarius Cremonus' label pasted inside.

Hmmmm .. didn't realise they had 3-ply wood in Stradivari's days
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Go Back to forum