• Register
  • Help

Topic: Oboe vibrato

Share/Bookmark

Oboe vibrato

OK, I can't seem to find anything on adding vibrato to the oboe. It's probably PEBKAC, but if anyone can help wiht a quick pointer I'd appreciate it... I've got a piece with a romantic oboe melody, and it sounds rather lifeless without vibrato.

Thanks,
    Pat
    Pat Azzarello
    http://www.patazzarello.com

Re: Oboe vibrato

Perhaps use the Oboe 2/3 Modern Solo instruments, they both have a nice vibrato.
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Kontakt provides scripting possibilities for vibrato - See Big Bob's SIPs vibrato script. Also see Performer--dependent dimensions of timbre: identifying acoustic cues for oboe tone discrimination by Rosemary Anne Fitzgerald online dissertation of approximately 250 pages. Have fun! Best wishes Earl

I moved over to Oboe 2 and got the vibrato I was looking for. Thanks.
    I'll mark the dissertation as well, though don't know if I'll be able to read the whole thing

One other question:
    The GPO manual states that you should not use ENS instruments with the solo instruments because of phasing issues. Those phasing issues should only occur if I play a unison line, correct? I never play 2 oboes in unison, so (as I read it) I should be safe, but may want to rework the parts on my other instruments to avoid unison lines mixing solo and ENS instruments.
    Pat Azzarello
    http://www.patazzarello.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen View Post
    I'm a woodwind guy, and have the same problem with the bassoon in GPO. The bassoon is a remarkably pliable instrument --- you can even play the blues on it and bend notes!

But a bassoon without vibrato sounds real weird and lifeless to me. Any ideas?

Ern
    Shake it vigorously?
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen View Post
    I'm a woodwind guy, and have the same problem with the bassoon in GPO. The bassoon is a remarkably pliable instrument --- you can even play the blues on it and bend notes!

But a bassoon without vibrato sounds real weird and lifeless to me. Any ideas?

Ern
    Aftertouch should engage vibrato for those wind instruments recorded without. And I agree about the bassoon... the GPO bassoons always get some added vibrato in my workups.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Another ex-oboist here. I agree with Ernstinen about both the oboe and bassoon vibratos.

When played properly, oboes have a gorgeous, solo violin-like vibrato. Often, the onset of the vibrato is delayed a bit for expressive reasons.

On the other hand, I would guess that they are toned down in GPO so that they blend nicely in a woodwind choir. You don't want your oboes and bassoons expressing their deepest yearnings over a misspent childhood, when all you want them to do is play a Bb major triad.

- k
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

Go Back to forum