• Register
  • Help

Topic: Any Micro-Tuning experts around?

Any Micro-Tuning experts around?

I've included a Micro-Tuner into my new instruments,
    but, to be honest, I'm not the expert in tuning scales.

I can hear the difference, but I don't really know why.
    There are several pre programmed scales like:
    Pure, Overtone 16/32, Pythagorean, Mean Tone 1/4Silbermann, Werkmeister III,
    Kirnberger III, Neidhardt I, Valotti, and more.
    Especially when playing brass chords, the difference is amazing.

Is there anybody who has experience with micro-tuning scales?
    Would it be possible to create something like the "EW&F" or "Benny Goodman" -tuning scale?

Chris Hein
    Chris Hein - Horns / Chris Hein - Guitars / Chris Hein - Bass

Re: Any Micro-Tuning experts around?

Hello, there are a quite a number of resources for microtuning on the web. http://www.xs4all.nl/~huygensf/doc/bib.html is a bibliography of more than 500 microtuning sources. It's very easy to get lost in the detail. I use Scala, a software microtune midi converter, and am very happy with it. It has extensive built in scale support and provides for custom scale creation. There are of course composer/period/tonal issues in selecting appropriate scales for a given piece. I find that pythagorean for strings works very well, and Werckmeister 1 is a solid standby for Rococo/Baroque. The classic microtuning "joke" is that Bach, who was an expert in the field of microtuning, played pieces in 4 flats in Silbermann, which nearly drove poor Silbermann mad-owing to the "howling wolves" in that key and temperament. The whole concept of "Affektenlehre" (wiki that) has as its keystone the idea that musical emotion is best conveyed by the appropriate microtone scale which is the best fit for the composition. As far as a "Benny Goodman" scale, if one has an audio to pitchbend converter, or some such, it would be possible to create that or some such scale. The issue of course is access to the data. Failing that, there are sources which indicate temperament/instrument best fits. Pythagorean for strings, notably. Have fun! Best wishes, Earl

Go Back to forum