• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A comment and another piece of music

Share/Bookmark

"Ode To Elissa"

As a relative newcomer, I am reluctant to sound the slightest bit assertive about forum 'rules', but cannot help but notice the blatant disregard for the guidelines established by the moderators.

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53598

I notice that even regulars disregard these very reasonable guidelines. They seem 'reasonable' enough, don't they? Yes, we ALL want to be heard ... myself, among those.

Having said that, and in strict accordance with the rules, I offer yet another piece of music:

http://www.rockindd.com/mp3/OTE_NEW_mixdown.mp3

If I recall, this one features ALL FOUR GPO oboes, playing in unison, as well as the wonderful 'lush violins/cellos'. Galveston is home to one of the few tall ships left on the planet - the 'Elissa' is one of those. This piece offers an humble homage to her and her history.

Phillip McGuffin
    cmeride79@gmail.com

Re: A comment and another piece of music

Phillup:

I can see the wind in her sails now..........majestically moving
    along.

Great piece. I wanted to hear voices along with the
    instrumentation for some reason, but the solo oboes
    did their job.

In my ears, the rendering had very good balance. Good
    to hear your music, Phillup.

BRAVO,

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

I believe that there may be some very small amounts of disregard to the very reasonable rules you have discussed. But more often what happens is that a member's work does reach page 2, then gets "bumped" back to page one by another forum members "late" response. This makes the thread creator/composer look as if he/she has posted back to back, or close to it, on page one.

It's a good rule but there are a lot of gray areas in how to moderate it due to reasonable circumstances that may create the illusion of unreasonable muti-postings.

I think your piece is very enjoyable. Not my favorite genre of construction but I admire the talent and craftsmanship.

Also, it would be helpful to you in the future if you were to acknowledge by name, and show gratitude towards, the members that take the time to stop, listen, and comment on your posted works. No, it's not a rule but it's appreciated and very reasonable.

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

I enjoyed your music. It's a nice melody although it seems pretty derivative. The modulation is good but you might consider experimenting a little to make your music more distinct. Take chances and try to think different.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor View Post
    I believe that there may be some very small amounts of disregard to the very reasonable rules you have discussed. But more often what happens is that a member's work does reach page 2, then gets "bumped" back to page one by another forum members "late" response. This makes the thread creator/composer look as if he/she has posted back to back, or close to it, on page one.
    With Michael, I must note that compliance on the part of all
    our members is actually quite remarkably good. It's very rare
    to see anyone post a second piece if they already have one
    out on page one.

Due to some of our more active listeners (I try to listen to and
    comment on every single piece, for instance), inevitably there
    are times, as we catch up on listening to pieces, when there will be
    cases where a given member might wind up with two or three pieces
    on the first page.

Some members, too (including me), don't always have time to
    get to the forum every single day... so replies to "older" pieces
    can take some time for them to get to.

Rest easy, my friend, that all our members are very conscious
    of this matter... and I think they all deserve quite a pat on the
    back for their unfailing courtesy and consideration of each other!

All my best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor View Post

It's a good rule but there are a lot of gray areas in how to moderate it due to reasonable circumstances that may create the illusion of unreasonable muti-postings.

I think your piece is very enjoyable. Not my favorite genre of construction but I admire the talent and craftsmanship.

Also, it would be helpful to you in the future if you were to acknowledge by name and show gratitude towards the members that take the time to stop, listen, and comment on your posted works. No, it's not a rule but it's appreciated and very reasonable.

M
    Michael,

Thank you for your time, and for listening to OTE. I stand somewhat corrected; still, I remain a stickler for rules. Perhaps I could adjust a bit more to the overall 'feeling' of the entire forum itself, especially being a new member. With that in mind, I have a number of other pieces/works that I would love to post...

I will keep in mind your statement about postings and replies thereto. I have, indeed, been perhaps neglectful in my new enthusiasm about finding such an astute forum. The active, listening participants here are enthusiastically responsive; coupled with supreme intellect, gracious countenance and finely tuned ears, one could hardly ask for more.

My approach to composition may seem to be unorthodox, due to my background as a rock musician/guitarist for 40 years. Fortunately, along the way, I learned the art of notation and theory, and it has been somewhat of a hindrance within my own genre. My contemporaries tend not to take us 'theory guys' seriously...it is a mixed blessing to be able to read, write and fully notate. My "genre" is a mix of 40 years of performance as a studio performance musician/sound engineer. Certainly it will not appeal to everyone - apparently not. Hopefully, enough ears will find my work enticing enough to arouse the interest I so seriously desire to stir within the industry...

Being a long-time user of UseNet, I'm accustomed to the scheme of things; i.e., the traditional post- and reply to- thread conversation system. Sorry to have been so lax about this protocol.

Phillip McGuffin
    cmeride79@gmail.com

And now to the piece, Phillip!

This is excellent work... the rendering on it particularly
    immediately caught my ear -- the percussion in it, I'd
    just about swear that was live. (Is it?)

The one area I might suggest another look: Perhaps
    you might bring the leads up a little; and consider
    more variation in the voicing, pass it around a bit.

Very well done!

My best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Even the best of us, more seasoned, can see true talent and form true respect for other's music even though the style may not be a favorite. This mature sense of "observing" art comes from having your face "put in the mud" (for me anyways). I had one fellow (not on this forum) say my newest work sounded like "noise" - i think he was serious. And i believe him - i believe, based on his tastes, he did perceive it that way.

My background is also in Rock music. I have only some formal training. I started in my mid 20's. I grew up playing electric bass guitar in many Rock, Death Metal, and Alternative groups. I think we may have something in common and I can relate.

Hey!, you'll get around. Do some listening - you know, if we were at a party - go mingle a bit.

Nothing wrong with following rules - but it's up to Gary and the Moderators to act on any neglect.

Well, I am hoping to hear more from you! I really did like the one called "Ghosts" you posted earlier.

I'm glad your "new" here and your very welcomed and appreciated.

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    I enjoyed your music. It's a nice melody although it seems pretty derivative. The modulation is good but you might consider experimenting a little to make your music more distinct. Take chances and try to think different.

Phil
    Phil,

Derivative, yes. There are only seven notes in the diatonic scale. Everything I do is derivative of something; Beatles, Paul Hindemith, Gershwin, Bach, Led Zepplin. In the quest for total originality, I seek new permutations/combinations of notes. EVERYTHING sounds like something, or so it seems. Thanks for the compliment, and for listening. Nice melodies seem to recur over the ages; thus the rich body of work that occurred during the 16th-20th century, i.e., much of the traditional folk music, which was resurrected within the works of the great composers. The modulation was a standard whole-step up; however, the demodulation back to the root arrived at an untraditional place. Again, thank you for the input.
    In re: to taking chances and thinking differently, you may enjoy listening to a future submission entitled "Fear in the Food Chain."

Phillip McGuffin
    cmeride79@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2 View Post
    Phillup:

I can see the wind in her sails now..........majestically moving
    along.

Great piece. I wanted to hear voices along with the
    instrumentation for some reason, but the solo oboes
    did their job.

In my ears, the rendering had very good balance. Good
    to hear your music, Phillup.

BRAVO,

Jack
    Jack,

It is so great to hear that someone else connects with the seafaring nature in this piece. After a trans-pacific voyage of my own on a yacht one summer, somehow that never comes out of your soul. On my first trip to Galveston, while meeting my fiancee (the composer) for the first time, we cherished touring the tall ship Elissa. Shortly thereafter, he created this piece in her name. Again, your sentiments and comments are deeply appreciated!

Phillip McGuffin/composer
    Cheryl Stoneman
    cmeride79@gmail.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast