• Register
  • Help

Topic: *Ahem* A Comedic Look At White People and Classical Music

Share/Bookmark

*Ahem* A Comedic Look At White People and Classical Music

One of my indulgences on the Internet is the website Stuff White People Like. Maybe it is not for everyone, I find it hilarious. A new article has been published called #108 Appearing to Enjoy Classical Music. I laughed out loud at least three times while reading it so I thought I would share it. Take a look and either a) be offended or b) enjoy!

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Re: *Ahem* A Comedic Look At White People and Classical Music

Funny.

I'm reminded of someone I used to work with. He was a typical nerdy, techie, programmer. Managed to get ridiculously rich via stock options with a company that went public. And promptly started going to the ballet!

- k
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by klassical View Post
    Funny.

I'm reminded of someone I used to work with. He was a typical nerdy, techie, programmer. Managed to get ridiculously rich via stock options with a company that went public. And promptly started going to the ballet!

- k
    Enjoying live classical music/ballet on a regular basis is a lot like golf financially - both expensive habits. Darned if I'm not hooked on both. I'll never be able to retire!

Has anyone ever noticed a marked tendency among white people, when listening and clapping to ANY music in 4/4 time, to clap on beats one and three instead of two and four?
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Funny funny.
    Just happened to hear this NPR interview/story with the website author on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by reberclark View Post
    Has anyone ever noticed a marked tendency among white people, when listening and clapping to ANY music in 4/4 time, to clap on beats one and three instead of two and four?

EXACTLY!!!!!

It's hilarious,,,, whenever I am working with a friend of mine who is black,
    we'll be in the studio, and I'll clap on 2 and 4 and yank my head back and forth with impeccable timing accuracy as if I am all that,
    then I stop and say to him,

oh... I'm white...

then immediately start clapping on 1 and 3.

so, yes Reber, I do notice that all the time.

me

Quote Originally Posted by reberclark View Post
    I thought that was a phenomena exclusively found in Pentacostal churches.

Rob

the same people that clap on 1 and 3, also stand up and applaud the performance before the conductor on the podium has lowered the baton

Dan

"Don't you prefer Pachebel's Canon?....(sigh) of course you do..." LOL. I think I've ACTUALLY said that. (Then asked the poor guy to specify which one. Canon in D? in A? Canon in Bb? I'm a jerk.)

I think that the title of Mr. Lander's books should be "stuff white city-bred college educated liberal leaning people like." Growing up in good ol' Alabam' I simply know far too many "white people" that just don't fit his assesment at all. (My brother is much more interested in NASCAR then he is in sounding post modern or intellectual).

However most of the college students/overprivelaged millenials/Liberal Arts majors I know fit his despcriptions exactly. "Stuff Liberal Arts Majors Like" maybe?

Matt

Go Back to forum