• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sibelius v Finale

Share/Bookmark

Sibelius v Finale

I currently use Noteworthy as my notation software. I consider it very good value for money and easy to use. However, it has it's limitations: it does not support higher tuplets than triplets; trills and tremolos have to be written out in full and then hidden in a playing stave. Similarly, turns must be written in full and 125th notes are not available. I also find great difficulty using it in conjunction with Garritan Studio.What I would like to know is whether I should change to Finale or to Sibelius for the most comprehensive score writing software which is also easy to use and has the Garritan sounds built in.
    Cheers,
    John.

Re: Sibelius v Finale

There's only one person in the whole world who can answer that question and that is you. Download demos of both programs, test them and you will know the answer.

If you are on a PC, make sure you create a system restore point before installing either one. I ended up having some unusual, but nonetheless difficult to deal with, problems in conjunction with installing their demos and having a system restore point ready would have saved me some trouble.

Also, read up on tiny issues, like a conflict with Google Desktop that can prevent proper installation or program execution.

I'll probably spring for one of them when I get my new computer and have somebody else deal with the install issues for me.

Btw, I've used NWC a lot too and it has a quite different workflow. If you have gotten used to using your computer keyboard a lot, it will probably take a while to get the most out of either Finale or Sibelius so don't get frustrated at first. Some things will pay off quickly, like the ability to work with multiple notes in a chord a bit more easily.
    Last edited by Per Lichtman; 09-04-2008 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Adding supplementary information.

Many thanks, Nickie and Per, for your useful tips. I've now downloaded the Sibelius demonstration videos and some bits from the Finale site including Finale Notepad. I think, so far, since there appears to be so little to choose between the two, I shall probably go for Finale price wise-----unless, of course, someone tells me that Sibelius is more easy to install or work with. By the way, I'd be very interested if anyone could direct me to a web site where a full comparison of the two systems has been made.
    Cheers,
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by jjloving View Post
    well just phone up a Sibelius user - I Guarantee they'll tell you it's easier than Finale (I will )

likewise, Finale users swear by the methods used in that program and I'm pretty sure hell will freeze over before the extremists on either side say one nice word about the other program

When it gets down to it, both do essentially the same thing, they just have different ways of doing them, and neither one will create a professional score by itself.

Test drive them, and see which suits your workflow best, for me it's Sib, for many it's Finale - that's just how it goes

Jon
    Many thanks, Jon, for your unbiased( or is it biased?) advice.
    It looks like it's going to be a toss up. Now where is that double headed penny?
    Cheers,
    John.

Hi,
    I would recommend you to download and try Myriad Harmony Assistant.
    It is very convenient if you have songs with words to sing.
    Regards,
    AlexBG

Thanks Alex, I did try Harmony Assistant some years back and was quite impressed with it, but I'm now looking for something that is tied in with GPO, to save me the trouble of fiddling around with GPO Studio etc.
    Cheers,
    John.

Hi John,
    Harmony Assistant is able to use GPO.
    Go to the Myriad webpage and see.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexBG View Post
    Hi John,
    Harmony Assistant is able to use GPO.
    Go to the Myriad webpage and see.
    Thanks Alex, and so can Noteworthy, but I find it fiddly having to use GPO Studio to link up the two. What I'm looking for is notation software with GPO built into it, so that I can concentrate on the notation side while the playback automatically utilizes the instrument sounds.
    Cheers,
    John

Just wanted to add another couple things:

If it's the ease of the sounds with high quality, rather than GPO specifically, that interests you, you might want to look into Notion as it has been designed with that in mind. It won't host plug-ins but it comes with a solid library by the LSO with some upgrade possibilities. I haven't spent time with it so I couldn't tell you about the GUI.

On another note, I have spent a little bit of time with Finale and Sibelius. Whenever I was working with Finale I found myself thinking things like "I wish this were more like NWC" but in my (much briefer) time with Sibelius, that was less the case. So, for me, it was a little bit easier of a transition.

I hear a lot of users say things about one vs. the other, but one of the things that gets tossed around is "Sibelius is easier/faster to use" vs. "Finale gives more professional results". Computer Music Magazine keeps giving neck and neck scores to the both of them, so your impression of a great deal of parity seems on the mark.

Go Back to forum