• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Can GS3's Gigapulse be used independently?

Share/Bookmark

Can GS3's Gigapulse be used independently?

This is almost undoubtedly a stupid question, so I apologize in advance.

I've got GS3 Orchestra which has GigaPulse. Is there any way to use Gigapulse independent of the GS3 application without having to purchase the VST version? That just seems like buying something you already have.

Thanks.

Re: Can GS3's Gigapulse be used independently?

Yeah, I can see how that would be an even more pressing question now that the product line has been discontinued.

In answer to your question, it can only be run as part of GS3 unless you buy the plug-in. If I remember correctly, there are ways to pipe the audio into GS3 depending the soundcard you are using, but I haven't experimented much with that myself.

Still thinking about picking up a copy of the plug-in before they stop being available myself. Haven't decided yet though.

Thanks for the reply Per,

I'm not surprised that it's a 'you can't get there from here' situation, but one can always hope, and at least ask.

I'm just starting to learn about the whole convolution ballgame anyway. Probably I'll do some experimenting with SIR first of all. Since there's quite a bit of latency, someone suggested using a no-latency verb initially and swapping them after recording the track. Why not..

Quote Originally Posted by michael88s View Post
    Since there's quite a bit of latency, someone suggested using a no-latency verb initially and swapping them after recording the track. Why not..
    A lot of people take that approach. An alternative is to use a relatively low latency convolution reverb. If you download the demo for Voxengo Pristine Space, as an example, you can reduce the latency to 64 samples. If you are using that reverb as a send effect, that ends up amounting to a small pre-delay if you use it live. I've done a few recording sessions that way with good results.

There aren't many commercial libraries of IRs taken from real spaces available (since most get bundled with a convolution engine) but the best ones I've come across are from Ernest Cholakis at Numerical Sound. The fidelity of those impulses is far better than what you are likely to find most other places and only the best bundled libraries compare. At least that's been my experience.

Per,

Thanks, I downloaded the Pristine Space demo and will try it, sounds very interesting...

If you get one that has some spacial EQ or post filtering they usually sound better.
    Nothing worse than a virtual reverb with no editing capabilities.
    GigaPulse sounds O.K. for pedal downs, but that's it.
    Stories ( ads ) of guys using GS3/4 as a giant effects rack must have got a free copy or something.
    I am spoiled from hardware and DSP based verbs. The algo's and editing they provide are key to getting the desired effect.
    The only actual hardware reverb I own anymore is a DOD Spring Reverb w/ a custom 16" spring added to it.
    I have the Lexicons too, but they really are DSP algo's inside of a hardware 1U chassis, like everything else these days.
    The Spring verb gets used on my Rotary Cabinet to better emulate a Real Leslie of Yore. It does not emulate spaces whatsoever, but let's the percussive element of my B3 ASB sound wet.

Besides, a good soft reverb takes away valuable CPU IPS's IMHO.
    JimmyV

Quote Originally Posted by Per Lichtman View Post
    Yeah, I can see how that would be an even more pressing question now that the product line has been discontinued.
    Still thinking about picking up a copy of the plug-in before they stop being available myself. Haven't decided yet though.
    I was dumbfounded about the discontinuation for GS4. I was about to buy an upgrade. I guess I am lucky in that aspect.

Regarding the Gigapulse VST. I think they would do themselves a big favor, if they would give away the Gigapulse VST if you have purchased GS3 or GS4. That would savage their reputation somewhat ( if they still have ).

esz

Regarding the Gigapulse VST. I think they would do themselves a big favor, if they would give away the Gigapulse VST if you have purchased GS3 or GS4. That would savage their reputation somewhat ( if they still have ).
    esz,

What you're suggesting would be a nice gesture indeed, but I believe that's highly unlikely given their willingness to strand GS users by the end of this year. There won't be any more support, as far as I know. If you want to update your software, or have any other issues you need to talk to Tasam about, you'll need to take care of it before 2009.

michael
    Dell Core2Duo E7200, 3GB Ram, SATA 160GB, SATA 250GB, Yamaha KX88 controller, Cubase Essential 4, Gigastudio 3.

Quote Originally Posted by michael88s View Post
    esz,

What you're suggesting would be a nice gesture indeed, but I believe that's highly unlikely given their willingness to strand GS users by the end of this year. There won't be any more support, as far as I know. If you want to update your software, or have any other issues you need to talk to Tasam about, you'll need to take care of it before 2009.

michael
    Luckily my issues are minor, like hung on open or can't load max 2G samples ( as it has been there long long time ). That's why I thought of going to GS4. Well, that's history now.

However, does anyone have serious issue with Gigapulse VST ? Is it as buggy as GS3 core sampler ?

I am not a die-hard GS fan. May be I will start considering some others samplers.

esz

esz,

If I'm not mistaken, there are more issues with GS4 than there are with GS3. But both really get into the guts of a computer, at kernel level, which frequently makes a giga machine very finnicky.

GVI, on the other hand, uses the Giga libraries as vsti's, doesn't go near 'kernel level', and is therefore rock solid stable from what I've heard.

michael
    Dell Core2Duo E7200, 3GB Ram, SATA 160GB, SATA 250GB, Yamaha KX88 controller, Cubase Essential 4, Gigastudio 3.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast