• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO/KP2 crashing: crazy memory action?!

Share/Bookmark

GPO/KP2 crashing: crazy memory action?!

I have been using GPO/KP2 in Digital Performer 5.13 for more than a month and everything has been fine. I have not used in the most memory-efficient manner, though because I've been evolving my orchestral template as I go. So, instead of using DP's V-Racks feature, which lets multiple sequences access a single instantiation of a VI, I've been instantiating GPO/KP2 in each sequence, one instantiation for each orchestral section (i.e. woodwinds, brass, keys, percussion, strings).

However, it was all working. Then I started getting messages when I booted up my DP session that KP2 had run out of memory and would stop the audio engine. I have 8 GB of RAM, so it seemed odd that it was running out of memory, but restarting the computer and rebooting seemed to fix it...until yesterday.

Yesterday, DP just started crashing when trying to access sequences I'd made weeks ago. It often would quit before it finished booting. I tried several troubleshooting approaches that I won't detail unless requested.

However, I opened Activity Monitor to check out RAM usage and spotted something really weird. When DP opened, it would use about 2 GB of RAM opening the session, then KP2 would start loading. At first, RAM would increase at a reasonable rate, but then it suddenly shot up to 14 petabytes and about 135 percent CPU usage. Now THAT's not right!!

I am able to open KP2 standalone and load all of the same User Multis, though once KP2 crashed trying to do it. But I can't figure out what's going in DP. I made a new session and imported one sequence and the V-Rack and have the same problem. If I deinstantiate one KP2, the memory drops back to a few GB. If I reinstantiate - without loading anything - it goes back up.

Any ideas? I am, of course, in production and can't make any headway.

Re: GPO/KP2 crashing: crazy memory action?!

Hi Larry,

I'm not really familiar with DP and Mac, however can you think of anything on your system that changed right around the time DP started acting up? An update, a hardware change, or a new program installation?

If production time is critical, perhaps you'd be able to remedy the problem for the time being by using Time Machine to roll back to the period when it was running smoothly?

Best,
    Reegs

It's hard to know. As soon as you experience any kind of weirdness, you start trying to troubleshoot, and then you're changing things, whether reinstalling, repairing permissions, or whatever. I updated KP2, but I can't be sure whether that was before or after the problems started. I have not changed anything with DP or the OS. (In fact, I need to at least update to 10.4.11, if not Leopard, but I'm waiting until I pretty well wrap this project to do that.)

I'm not using Time Machine. For a start, it's not in Tiger, and, for another, I'm told it uses a lot of disk space. It's not that I'm hurting for disk space, but most data backup needs can be met by file sync programs.

I think I have a workaround, which is to make a copy of the master session, repeatedly try opening it until it succeeds, then delete all but one or two sequences. That seems to be working, though it means I'm converting to a one-sequence-per-piece approach, which I don't like as much. I am also migrating to use a V-Rack in DP for GPO/KP2, which means that a single instance of each VI is used for all sequences in the session.

But it is still odd that everything was fine one night and screwed up the next morning. Something had to be different, but I'll be darned if I know what.

Hi Larry,

Give me a call and we'll try to troubleshoot this over the phone.

Best,

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by larrytheo View Post
    It's hard to know. As soon as you experience any kind of weirdness, you start trying to troubleshoot, and then you're changing things, whether reinstalling, repairing permissions, or whatever. I updated KP2, but I can't be sure whether that was before or after the problems started. I have not changed anything with DP or the OS. (In fact, I need to at least update to 10.4.11, if not Leopard, but I'm waiting until I pretty well wrap this project to do that.)

I'm not using Time Machine. For a start, it's not in Tiger, and, for another, I'm told it uses a lot of disk space. It's not that I'm hurting for disk space, but most data backup needs can be met by file sync programs.

I think I have a workaround, which is to make a copy of the master session, repeatedly try opening it until it succeeds, then delete all but one or two sequences. That seems to be working, though it means I'm converting to a one-sequence-per-piece approach, which I don't like as much. I am also migrating to use a V-Rack in DP for GPO/KP2, which means that a single instance of each VI is used for all sequences in the session.

But it is still odd that everything was fine one night and screwed up the next morning. Something had to be different, but I'll be darned if I know what.

Go Back to forum