• Register
  • Help

Topic: RAM or Processor Issue? VSL & SONiVOX with Kontakt

Share/Bookmark

RAM or Processor Issue? VSL & SONiVOX with Kontakt

Hi everyone, I have a fairly simple question that I was hoping someone can help me with:

I'm using SONiVOX and VLS via Kontakt in Protools 7.4 on a Macbook Pro 2.33Ghz with 2GB RAM. When I use too many Kontakt tracks, Protools becomes unhappy and the sound deteriates and/or it stops recording. My PT settings are exactly where they should be so I'm guessing that I need more RAM and I'm ready to buy a new computer.

My question is: Would I need to increase the computers RAM or processing speed to be able to using more Kontakt tracks at the same time with out issues?

Many Thanks,

Daniel

Re: RAM or Processor Issue? VSL & SONiVOX with Kontakt

Audio or MIDI tracks?
    JimmyV

Quote Originally Posted by scope4live View Post
    Audio or MIDI tracks?

MIDI (technically, "instrument" tracks in Protools)

Gotcha. I thought you were using a DSP rack. Those powerful solutions using DSP chips don't choke like that.

It seems as though you would need more power. An unfortunate never ending cycle when using native CPU / RAM based apps. More instruments, more power, new O.S., etc. It will never end. Just when you think you are close to being satisfied a new standalone / VSTi comes out that sounds really good, but has to have a MacTel Octa Quad 64bit machine to use effectively.

A new laptop should work, at least until the newer 64bit stuff becomes available and you are forced to spend even more money.

That's the beauty of it. Wait till you add up what you've spent in a four year period. You'll soon realize it will never end.

Keep your laptop and invest in a DSP rack. You can use a lean host like Forte or Bidule, or even GS4, but Giga's app requires an entire core before placing the VSTi's and GSI's on other processors.

I see guys using laptops live w/ receptors which are an option also. But the DSP cards from 10 years ago are still running entire mixes and huge synth projects. The new racks are extremely powerful and designed for laptops.

Check out a Magma PCI rack, or an external PCI-e connected 1U XITE-1. Even UAD is releasing some powerful new cards. These last for years and you can concentrate on your music instead of a new O.S. / CPU / RAM increase every 8 months. It's just insane the way developers have to follow the O.S. creators and change everything around all of the time.

Someday Yamaha ( Steinberg ) will release a dedicated O.S. for audio production. Lean machines are desperately needed.

Just look at the timely release from M$ of the 3GB switch. All of a sudden you can actually use more of your 4 GB's of RAM? O.S. and apps never even mature before everyone has to use the newest, forced down our throat O.S. and 64bit. Of course we must follow. It's ridiculous what a developer has to go through to " appear " to be current. 32bit was never fully optimized. The same thing will happen when we go to a 128bit O.S. in 2010 or 2011. It's insane.

Best Of Luck 2U.
    JimmyV

Jimmy, Thanks for such an in depth response. I know what you mean about this crazy cycle. Its ridiculous. A black hole thats neverending. I'll take your advice and look into a DSP rack. I first need to do some homework and find out exactly what that does. This is the first I have heard of this. I think I will still sell my mac because I can get quite a lot of doe for it right now in South Africa amd I'm coming to the States (LA) in Oct so I will invest in a new Tower AND a most likely the DSP option you are talking about. So are you saying that with DSP I would be taking the processing load off my computer. Therefor I wouldn't need to have so much RAM and CPU and I wouldn't have to keep upgrading as often?

Quote Originally Posted by scope4live View Post
    Gotcha. I thought you were using a DSP rack. Those powerful solutions using DSP chips don't choke like that.

It seems as though you would need more power. An unfortunate never ending cycle when using native CPU / RAM based apps. More instruments, more power, new O.S., etc. It will never end. Just when you think you are close to being satisfied a new standalone / VSTi comes out that sounds really good, but has to have a MacTel Octa Quad 64bit machine to use effectively.

A new laptop should work, at least until the newer 64bit stuff becomes available and you are forced to spend even more money.

That's the beauty of it. Wait till you add up what you've spent in a four year period. You'll soon realize it will never end.

Keep your laptop and invest in a DSP rack. You can use a lean host like Forte or Bidule, or even GS4, but Giga's app requires an entire core before placing the VSTi's and GSI's on other processors.

I see guys using laptops live w/ receptors which are an option also. But the DSP cards from 10 years ago are still running entire mixes and huge synth projects. The new racks are extremely powerful and designed for laptops.

Check out a Magma PCI rack, or an external PCI-e connected 1U XITE-1. Even UAD is releasing some powerful new cards. These last for years and you can concentrate on your music instead of a new O.S. / CPU / RAM increase every 8 months. It's just insane the way developers have to follow the O.S. creators and change everything around all of the time.

Someday Yamaha ( Steinberg ) will release a dedicated O.S. for audio production. Lean machines are desperately needed.

Just look at the timely release from M$ of the 3GB switch. All of a sudden you can actually use more of your 4 GB's of RAM? O.S. and apps never even mature before everyone has to use the newest, forced down our throat O.S. and 64bit. Of course we must follow. It's ridiculous what a developer has to go through to " appear " to be current. 32bit was never fully optimized. The same thing will happen when we go to a 128bit O.S. in 2010 or 2011. It's insane.

Best Of Luck 2U.

Ineed.

I started this way back when Gigastudio first came out. I was using a gigantic hardware touring rig and did not like O.S.'s back then as they were flawed ( still are ) and designed for everything but audio.

Gigastudio used the memory subsystem except for some code, and the DSP cards used their own chips.

This allowed me to use the BX chipset and slow CPU w/o having to keep chasing Intels tail around.

Gigastudio has recently joined the ranks of CPU instensive apps. but CPU's are so much beter and cheaper now. That's O.K. Seems that memory is needed more and more to run giant romplers. No biggie since the high quality synths and effects w/ external hardware effects going through custom mixers uses zero CPU cycles. Hence the DSP's.

Besides, your best hardware effects and instruments use DSP chips anyway, and quite well I might add.

For example a Bricasti Model 7 reverb has more power than most DAW's, and well the quality of it's sound speaks for itself.

But most would rather have lower quality and larger amounts. A very understandable trade off. I prefer making my own stuff and using DSP to do it. Although I am adding more and more romplers these days, it's O.K. since they are sample based, just have no need for VST FX, or synths that sounds inferior, and kill a CPU.

But sampled content is where the strength of the VST protocol is IMHO. So I must play the field, and thank my lucky stars that an entire Dual Core CPU can be used exclusively for that purpose, while I use the DSP's for higher quality effects and synths.

I must have it all.
    JimmyV

Ahhaah. I'm following what you're saying. It sounds like you have been doing this for while. Thanks for all your input.

Re: Hardware effects processing. Because of budget constant I'm not even going to go there..yet. I'll be happy with using simple plugins that don't use much memory (or is it CPU?) for now.

The one thing that I'm still trying to figure out is this:

RAM these days is very cheap. Probably much cheaper than the external hardware DSP option. I completely hear what you're saying about investing in DSP and not having to keep jumping onto the next, latest super quad shmod thingy, but for while I'm on a budget, I'm wondering if I got about 8GBs of Ram with a Mac 2.7Ghz if that would be sufficient to handle VSL and SoniVOX samples via Kontakt for now. With that said, in the future when budget allows for it I could go for the DSP option. What do you think? Am I just been difficult?

Re:What is the Ideal system for Sibelius 4 and GPO?!

Sorry about posting my question here, but I cannot fing a link to create a new topic.

tow simple questions:

1. From what I read, I can see that there are issues of all types about almost anything in computer music. Now, since I upgraded to vista 64, incredible now I have issues with memory, etc.

What is finally the ideal system?! I don't want to worry anymore about consiguration and drivers etc. I just want to compose my music. Please suggest the ideal system for me to work with sibelius 4 or 5 and Garritan P O. Please help

David
    Pentium Core Duo - 4G
    Vista Home premium 64

Wink Re: RAM or Processor Issue? VSL & SONiVOX with Kontakt

Well you guys should definately go for a MacTell. I use PC's as I stated earlier, that way the machine is dedicated for the Romplers. I am going to get suckered into this 64bit eventually so my current E8600 / 4GB DDR II will just get 4GB's more, and I should be O.K. My DSP cards will have the option of Mac 32/64, and PC 32/64 in Vista or XP.

For live stable work DSP's and a PC are my choices as their stability makes me money. But for these giant 50 version of Pizzacatto's, etc. It seems as though Mac's are quite capable, but I have seen too many live guys fumblimg around w/ their app.'s on a Mac live, which is fine waiting for loads in a studio as there's time and patience for such activity, but live performance suffers no fools, one shot, one kill.

Someday Akai might release a hardware sampler ( that actually samples ) that's packed with Intel MLC SSD's. Then all of this load time jive and driver this, driver that crap will be a silly memory.

One can read through these forums and see how much time is wasted on technical issues w/ PC's due to compatability issues. The MacTel crowd seems to post more music.

But if you want a lean mean live gigging machine, a stripped down to code XP32, w/ romplers, analog synths, hardware effects, and DSP live mastering quality, PC's still rule.

MacTells just seem like the future for indoor work.
    JimmyV

Go Back to forum