• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Service Pack 3?

Share/Bookmark

Service Pack 3?

Hi. During what might be called routine maintenance of my machine I changed my RAM cards which were acting up and installed another soundcard. Checking all the details I realise I am only on XP service pack 2.

A memory testing programme that I ran before to check for RAM errors now says that my version of Windows can only address 888 Mb of contiguous RAM. This is a change. I am using XP Professional. Is this correct ?

Should I download Service Pack 3, are there any issues ?
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Re: Service Pack 3?

The loss of available RAM doesn't have anything to do with Windows. Sounds like you have a bad stick. My guess is you should Google "low high density sdram" (without the quotes).

I upgraded to sp3 and didn't notice any difference or issues.

Ernie

+1 on SP 3. No problems.

Thanks guys, will update tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Derek
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Be aware, that if you plan to install M-Audio products after you install SP3 you might run into trouble.

My soundcards are a SoundBlaster (very old but still serviceable) and a new M-Audio Audiphile 192, installed last week. If I update SP3 will there be a problem?
    Derek

Based on the link she gave you (underlined characters her post) - not if you have already installed the driver. The problem is with the installer software, not the driver itself. If the M-Audio card is running now, it will still be running after you upgrade.

Worse comes to worse, according to the M-Audio website, you can go into add/remove programs and uninstall the SP3 upgrade.

(BTW, thanks to Nickie for the link, even if it was a head-slapper. Seems you can't do anything with Windows these days without tripping over some kind of rock.)

Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by buckshead View Post
    My soundcards are a SoundBlaster (very old but still serviceable) and a new M-Audio Audiphile 192, installed last week. If I update SP3 will there be a problem?
    Just make sure the drivers are installed for the 192 before adding SP3.

The question is: Does SP3 improve some feature that helps in music production?
    I am on XP SP2. If nothing has been improved, I prefer to stay with SP2, you know!
    Eduardo Tarilonte |Sample Library Developer
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

Quote Originally Posted by TARI View Post
    The question is: Does SP3 improve some feature that helps in music production?
    I am on XP SP2. If nothing has been improved, I prefer to stay with SP2, you know!
    I've heard that SP3 is recommended for multicore processors.

Go Back to forum