• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Covert sound forge (pca) files

Share/Bookmark

OT: Covert sound forge (pca) files

Over the years I have accumulated quite a number of sound fx files with a .pca extension -- which I am unable to play in Windows Media player or import into any application I currently own (Sonar, Premiere, etc.).

Doing a little research on the web, I found that the pca extension was used by Sound Forge. I know I used this application (before it was acquired by Sony) once upon a time, on one of my older computers.

I don't know if the sounds are any good. And I can no longer find the CD-ROM that contained Sound Forge (if I remember correctly it was bundled with another software application or piece of hardware that I no longer own.)

Does anyone know of an application (ideally freeware) that would allow me to listen to these files and convert them to something more useable (like WAV format)?

Re: OT: Covert sound forge (pca) files

How much are we talking about? If you wanted to upload them somewhere I could convert them in Sound Forge and send them back.
    David

Couldn't you download the SF demo and convert them? For that matter, the free version of acid would probably do it. You would just render them as .wavs.

There are at least 1,000 files -- so I wouldn't dream of asking anyone else to do the conversion for me. I was hoping to find a freeware batch converter of some sort.

I understand that the demo version of sound forge either has regular dropouts or tones to prevent you from doing any real work with it. If acid can convert them, I'll give it a try. But I thought Sonar could import acid files. I was surprised when I got an error message saying that it didn't recognize the format.

.pca and acidized .wav files are two different formats. .pca is a lossless compression format developed by Sonic Foundry and now Sony... I think. Somebody want to clarify is I am correct.

In acid-speak those .pca sound effects should be "one shots."

Unless SONY has changed the way their demos work, it's uncrippled for fourteen days. The batch converter is integrated into Sound Forge now.
    Ben N. Moore

Go Back to forum