• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Spirit of the Olympics-Solo Trumpet & Violin & Orch

Share/Bookmark

Spirit of the Olympics-Solo Trumpet & Violin & Orch

Hi All!
    Here is a piece composed over the summer as a tribute to the Olympics - getting caught up in the spectacle of it all with China exposing its very creative side.

This song actually started out as a very different piano piece - with 2 different takes - I then dumped the piano parts and somehow what you are listening to now, emerged out of the ashes while watching the Olympics. This rarely happens to me in the writing process but I'm glad it did. So this delivery was not without pain in the creative process.

Solo trumpet and violin (Stradavari of course) and Orchestra.

As always, any concerns, foibles, suggestions on any aspect of the piece and production are not always wanted but very necessary for my musical growth.

Regards - Del Carry

Spirit of the Olympics
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

Re: Spirit of the Olympics-Solo Trumpet & Violin & Orch

This is excellent! Very inspiring!

Hey Del,

A very triumphant work! Traditionally grand and epic in sound; very suited for a ceremony to honor great athletes. The introduction was my favorite with the trumpet building and the lush violins joining slightly later. It had great impact! Also reminds me of the Star Trek Deep Space Nine music, just a bit.

However, the trumpet sounded a little out of place at times. Not the notes but just the production aspect. It seemed that the trumpet had that "raspy" loud quality when playing softer sections - and when the trumpet was playing loud and supposed to be "raspy" I didn't think it pierced through the orchestra enough.

Does your trumpet sample have different dynamic - timbre settings to use?

Overall It was a very impressive and very moving work!

Much enjoyed.

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Del

This is fantastic.

I wish I could have afforded both the strad and the grof back then.

The only thing that hits me is that in a couple of spots the violin seems very loud. It is louder than a trumpet?

It doesn't really matter, we get to make things as we wish.

Well done

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Del:

When you hear something that is beautifully rendered, you
    know you're going to hear something that is worthwhile
    listening to. You covered these bases with some to spare....

Great pedal point to give downright power to the bass so that
    the upper instruments could sing their Olympic Hymn. Yes, it
    was uplifting to listen to just as the Olympics was inspiring to
    watch.

Really liked the way you handled the Stradivari. Sounded like a
    real player with your vibrato technique........

BRAVO, Del

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Heroic, emotive, and inspiring all at once, Del; this is
    fine work. Well done!

While I realize the intent for this is more along the line
    of an intrada or fanfare-like preludial, I can't help hearing
    more in it, waiting: with such strong central material,
    I'd love to hear you take this still further!

My best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by CoolZidane View Post
    This is excellent! Very inspiring!
    Cool - Thanks for stopping by and listening

Hey Del,

A very triumphant work! Traditionally grand and epic in sound; very suited for a ceremony to honor great athletes. The introduction was my favorite with the trumpet building and the lush violins joining slightly later. It had great impact! Also reminds me of the Star Trek Deep Space Nine music, just a bit.

However, the trumpet sounded a little out of place at times. Not the notes but just the production aspect. It seemed that the trumpet had that "raspy" loud quality when playing softer sections - and when the trumpet was playing loud and supposed to be "raspy" I didn't think it pierced through the orchestra enough.

Does your trumpet sample have different dynamic - timbre settings to use?

Overall It was a very impressive and very moving work!

Much enjoyed.

M
    Michael - Thanks for listening and commenting and mostly for picking out the sore spots. The trumpet is actually "The Trumpet" done by one of the same guys who worked on the Strad and Gofriller - Giorgio Tomasini and several others. I just got it recently so this is my first try and it seems I have a lot to learn although the parts I played are quite simple and really do not come close to showing off what this baby can do. I have played a real trumpet in the past but not for several years. I have tried to get back in shape lately but find I just cannot devote the time it takes to keep in shape to be able to play up to my standards. I would have to give up the time it takes to compose and I have neighbours beside me! So, using the virtual trumpet will be much easier but like the Strad and Gofriller it does take a lot of practise to tame these wild beasts. The Trumpet has all kinds of expressiveness and is by far the best trumpet out there - Although I would say the JAbb trumpets and Flugelhorn deserve an honourable mention.
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

Musically, I REALLY really liked this.
    My only concern is that in a "real" setting, the solo violin would definately need to be amplified.

Pedal points CAN sound rather "cheesy", but your music completely bypassed that trap. It WAS stirring.

This is an awesome fanfare type of piece. I think I heard an echo of Copland maybe for a base point and then off it goes into new musical territory.

Phil

Very nice DelCarry. Sounds Coplandesque in my opinion and could serve nicely as an introduction to a larger piece.

Keep up the good work.

Steve Winkler

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast