• Register
  • Help

Topic: Disappointing GPO instrument quality

Share/Bookmark

Disappointing GPO instrument quality

I recently acquired GPO and have been, quite frankly, disappointed in the quality of many of the instruments. The trumpets sound buzzy and artificial; the trombones...well, they sound more like flatulence than the mellow tenor instruments they should be, and the sectional strings have an annoying electronic quality.

I have been working with the assumption that I MUST be missing something and have been applying all the possible patches I can find for both the OS and application to no avail. I've also looked through the forums and FAQs to see if there are some settings I can use to "fine tune" the system but have not found anything useful.

Am I missing something or am I setting my expectations too high? Some instruments DO sound good to me (solo strings, harp, piano) so I'm not sure what to think.

I am using GPO with KontaktPlayer2 version 2.2.4.001 on an iMac 7.1 running OS 10.5.04. I am also using Sibelius 5.2, but the instruments sound lousy whether I'm playing them through Sibelius or standalone in KontaktPlayer.

Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Disappointing GPO instrument quality

The real question to ask is, have you heard any demos done using GPO that sounded good to you?

If you HAVE heard some, then the issue is not with GPO itself, but rather how you might be using it.

If, on the other hand, you have not heard any demos that impressed you in the least, one can only wonder why you purchased GPO.
    I will assume the former is the case.

The thing now is to find other users who are using the same set-up as you are, and find out how they are dealing with any limitations that might come with GPO or with the playback programme (in this case, Sibelius) you are using.

Welcome to the forum, Robert.

Using GPO with notation doesn't really bring out the best of it. I don't use Sibelius, so I can't give you any suggestions there. But, if you use GPO with some other software like a sequencer or notation, like Finale or Overture, with more control over GPO, that's when things happen...

A combination of velocity (for attack) and modwheel (for timbre and dynamic levels) is VERY important to get the GPO instruments sound «alive». And since the instrument patches are sampled «dry», you also need to apply a propper amount of reverb to make them sound natural. The legato function also needs to be applied to make legato notes sound natural. There are various other controllers to help with different aspects. The manual gives a complete list.

Personally, I don't believe that any sample software can really sound «real» without using all the necessary controllers that were designed for it.

I hope this helps.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Lypka View Post
    I recently acquired GPO and have been, quite frankly, disappointed in the quality of many of the instruments. The trumpets sound buzzy and artificial; the trombones...well, they sound more like flatulence than the mellow tenor instruments they should be, and the sectional strings have an annoying electronic quality.

I have been working with the assumption that I MUST be missing something and have been applying all the possible patches I can find for both the OS and application to no avail. I've also looked through the forums and FAQs to see if there are some settings I can use to "fine tune" the system but have not found anything useful.

Am I missing something or am I setting my expectations too high? Some instruments DO sound good to me (solo strings, harp, piano) so I'm not sure what to think.

I am using GPO with KontaktPlayer2 version 2.2.4.001 on an iMac 7.1 running OS 10.5.04. I am also using Sibelius 5.2, but the instruments sound lousy whether I'm playing them through Sibelius or standalone in KontaktPlayer.

Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by LouisD View Post
    Welcome to the forum, Robert.

Using GPO with notation doesn't really bring out the best of it. I don't use Sibelius, so I can't give you any suggestions there. But, if you use GPO with some other software like a sequencer or notation, like Finale or Overture, with more control over GPO, that's when things happen...

A combination of velocity (for attack) and modwheel (for timbre and dynamic levels) is VERY important to get the GPO instruments sound «alive». And since the instrument patches are sampled «dry», you also need to apply a propper amount of reverb to make them sound natural. The legato function also needs to be applied to make legato notes sound natural. There are various other controllers to help with different aspects. The manual gives a complete list.

Personally, I don't believe that any sample software can really sound «real» without using all the necessary controllers that were designed for it.

I hope this helps.
    Robert This can help execute Louis's suggestions

Are you getting the Sibelius sounds instead of GPO? There is a big difference.

brsmith
    www.brsmusic.net

Thank you all for your feedback. It's greatly appreciated.

In response to brsmith, I went into KontaktPlayer and it shows the instruments as comming from the GPO library. Just to be doubly sure, I checked library INFO and its pointing to the directory where I installed GPO. Too bad...THAT would have been simple to fix.

Michel, I did hear samples of GPO prior to purchasing the product and was very impressed, including the one's supplied by Mike (thanks, Mike). Now that I'm over the initial "wow" factor and am listening with a more critical ear, I think some instruments sound better "out of the box" while others (e.g. the brasses) seem to need more adjustment...

...which brings me to Louis' comments. A very quick test playing with the modwheel, reverb, and length (decay) showed me I could make a bit of improvement to the instruments in question. I am going to go back, CAREFULLY re-read the manual, and experiment a little.

What can I say? I'm a Newbie.

Go Back to forum