• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Topic: Middle Eastern Instrument Featured in "Traitor"

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Middle Eastern Instrument Featured in "Traitor"

    Hi,
    Does anyone know the name of the wind instrument featured in the score of "Traitor" and are there any samples of it.
    Thanks.

  2. #2

    Re: Middle Eastern Instrument Featured in "Traitor"

    http://www.markkilian.com/

    Which track here are you refering to 'cause I hear a violin sample being altered to sound like a wind instrument.
    At first I thought I heard a Duduk: I love this instrument, it's from the Middle East but haven't picked up on a definate wind instrument yet.

    I've only listened to about 3 minutes of this score.
    2 X Intel i7 920 sys. 12 gigs Ram. XP & Win 7 64
    Cubase 5. Kontakt 4. EWQL C.C.C. (Play)
    Vienna Instruments SE & Plus. Symphobia. GPO.
    RME HDSPe AIO KRK V8s Avalon Vt-747sp
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88


    My two passions. Music and Cooking.
    Both require just the right ingredients....

  3. #3

    Re: Middle Eastern Instrument Featured in "Traitor"

    I have listened to the score on Itunes (the track Entering the country) as Duduk has been mentioned and I can confirm that it is a Duduk, this instrument is not Middle Eastern as we would say here in the UK (Iran, Iraq and Egypt etc) but is indeed East European and from Armenia which boarders Turkey and also neighbours south Russian state Georgia.

    Bela D Media's Spiritual Winds is superb for world wind instruments!

    http://www.beladmedia.com/main-asw.htm

    I hope that is what you were looking for

    Simon
    www.sounds-and-images.co.uk

    And now also at Flickr!

    http://flickr.com/photos/sounds-and-images/

    www.myspace.com/simonfielder

    NorthernSounds.NET.
    View Simon Fielder's Profile at NorthernSounds.net

  4. #4

    Re: Middle Eastern Instrument Featured in "Traitor"

    Thanks to SimonF and Chalfant for their replies. I'm now going to purchase Spiritual Winds for the Duduk....what a beautiful sound.

  5. #5

    Re: Middle Eastern Instrument Featured in "Traitor"

    Quote Originally Posted by SimonF View Post
    Middle Eastern as we would say here in the UK (Iran, Iraq and Egypt etc) but is indeed East European and from Armenia which boarders Turkey and also neighbours south Russian state Georgia.
    Well said Simon. Having lived in the Middle East for 18 years, I have never heard or seen one live. It is definitely not a Middle Eastern instrument.

    For whatever reason, it has become a cliched sound for composers trying to evoke a Middle Eastern mood. It's brooding, dark, mournful, mystical sound just seems to capture what people think of as Middle Eastern Music.

    Whether this is right or wrong is perhaps a good topic for debate. I used to recoil the first few times I heard it used as a Middle Eastern instrument, but have heard it now done by so many big name composers that it has almost become a surrogate Middle Eastern instrument.....(only in film and media of course.)

    We are working on an indie right now and.....I almost hate to admit it......we are using it in a few scenes. Mainly because the director (from the UAE) used several tracks in his temp score that featured the Duduk. SHAME ON US PROPAGATING THIS CULTURAL MISCONCEPTION!!
    "International Award Winning Arabic Fusion"
    www.ajmusiconline.com

    2xMac Pro 2.66, OS 10.4.9,Pro Tools 7.4.8,Waves Plat,Altiverb
    4xVisionDaw PC,NI Komplete, All Play 1.2.5 Libraries

  6. #6

    Re: Middle Eastern Instrument Featured in "Traitor"

    Quote Originally Posted by musicsuccess View Post
    Thanks to SimonF and Chalfant for their replies. I'm now going to purchase Spiritual Winds for the Duduk....what a beautiful sound.
    Spiritual Winds is nice indeed.

    Another option could be: http://rawpro.herman-witkam.com/

    It's a Duduk Library. I don't have it so I can'y vouch for it but I thought I would bring it to your attention.

  7. #7

    Re: Middle Eastern Instrument Featured in "Traitor"

    Quote Originally Posted by dubaifox View Post
    Well said Simon. Having lived in the Middle East for 18 years, I have never heard or seen one live. It is definitely not a Middle Eastern instrument.

    For whatever reason, it has become a cliched sound for composers trying to evoke a Middle Eastern mood. It's brooding, dark, mournful, mystical sound just seems to capture what people think of as Middle Eastern Music.

    Whether this is right or wrong is perhaps a good topic for debate. I used to recoil the first few times I heard it used as a Middle Eastern instrument, but have heard it now done by so many big name composers that it has almost become a surrogate Middle Eastern instrument.....(only in film and media of course.)

    We are working on an indie right now and.....I almost hate to admit it......we are using it in a few scenes. Mainly because the director (from the UAE) used several tracks in his temp score that featured the Duduk. SHAME ON US PROPAGATING THIS CULTURAL MISCONCEPTION!!
    Hi DubaiFox,

    This not not the only instrument that composers have misused over the years... The Didgeridoo has and is used to bring that cliche to film footage of Australia no matter what part of Australia is actually in the film, even though it is from a very small place in the Northern Territories called North East Arnem Land.

    I guess that it goes in circles too just like music itself, Tuvan throat singing is a popular way to add an organic and atmospheric sound to a piece of music and the Hang is also on the up.......

    But we should still recognize the indigenous people that gave us these instruments and sounds and where in the world they are from.......


    I have to say that The Duduk certainly fits with images of the middle east with it's ethereal sound, there is a similar instrument that I believe is middle eastern, The Zourna? maybe you can tell me if it is or not.

    I see that EW have the Duduk in the manual for RA as being middle eastern... knowing the subject of world music is very important for many reasons.......

    I have been a player of ethnic instruments for many years and I get rather angry at misrepresentation....

    Sorry for the long post and I hope it is useful to some.

    Simon
    www.sounds-and-images.co.uk

    And now also at Flickr!

    http://flickr.com/photos/sounds-and-images/

    www.myspace.com/simonfielder

    NorthernSounds.NET.
    View Simon Fielder's Profile at NorthernSounds.net

  8. #8

    Re: Middle Eastern Instrument Featured in "Traitor"

    Quote Originally Posted by SimonF View Post
    Hi DubaiFox,

    This not not the only instrument that composers have misused over the years... The Didgeridoo has and is used to bring that cliche to film footage of Australia no matter what part of Australia is actually in the film, even though it is from a very small place in the Northern Territories called North East Arnem Land.

    I guess that it goes in circles too just like music itself, Tuvan throat singing is a popular way to add an organic and atmospheric sound to a piece of music and the Hang is also on the up.......

    But we should still recognize the indigenous people that gave us these instruments and sounds and where in the world they are from.......


    I have to say that The Duduk certainly fits with images of the middle east with it's ethereal sound, there is a similar instrument that I believe is middle eastern, The Zourna? maybe you can tell me if it is or not.

    I see that EW have the Duduk in the manual for RA as being middle eastern... knowing the subject of world music is very important for many reasons.......

    I have been a player of ethnic instruments for many years and I get rather angry at misrepresentation....

    Sorry for the long post and I hope it is useful to some.

    Simon
    It's fortunate that the average movie goer is not an expert ethnomusicologist! I have found that the duduk is often used to evoke Islam, although it is actually from Armenia, the first official Christian country. Regardless, it is a beautiful sound that I can't get enough of. The Bela D duduk is superbly sampled.

  9. #9

    Re: Middle Eastern Instrument Featured in "Traitor"

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
    It's fortunate that the average movie goer is not an expert ethnomusicologist! I have found that the duduk is often used to evoke Islam, although it is actually from Armenia, the first official Christian country. Regardless, it is a beautiful sound that I can't get enough of. The Bela D duduk is superbly sampled.
    I certainly agree with you, I love the sound and it does fit those images superbly.

    Indian instruments like Tabla are used on all genres of music and TV ads.

    If it fits then it is worth using!
    www.sounds-and-images.co.uk

    And now also at Flickr!

    http://flickr.com/photos/sounds-and-images/

    www.myspace.com/simonfielder

    NorthernSounds.NET.
    View Simon Fielder's Profile at NorthernSounds.net

  10. #10

    Re: Middle Eastern Instrument Featured in "Traitor"

    Quote Originally Posted by SimonF View Post
    there is a similar instrument that I believe is middle eastern, The Zourna?
    The Ney flute can often sound like a Duduk, when it is played in it's low register, slow, mournful and brooding like the Duduk.

    I liked the info on the Digeridoo! My wife is from South Australia, and groans every time the token Digideridoo comes out for ANYTHING Australian.
    "International Award Winning Arabic Fusion"
    www.ajmusiconline.com

    2xMac Pro 2.66, OS 10.4.9,Pro Tools 7.4.8,Waves Plat,Altiverb
    4xVisionDaw PC,NI Komplete, All Play 1.2.5 Libraries

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •