• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Dance Suite for Flutes

Share/Bookmark

Dance Suite for Flutes

I'll start by saying: This piece is not for the timid. The Flute Society of Cleveland is sponsoring a contest for Cleveland area composers to compose music for their chapter to be performed this coming spring in April.

I have composed the following Flute Trio (3 C FLutes - the N-Flute KS). It is a three movement work topping off at about 8' 15" combined time.

I thought this community might enjoy a listen. This was composed the past three days using FInale '08 and the above mentioned flute samples.

MM I - Danse Mystique

MM II - Pavanne

MM III - Danse Macabre

Enjoy (or whatever it is you do when you listen.)

Much Thanks,
    Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: Dance Suite for Flutes

Bill

First off good luck with the competition. As many have said to me, maybe even yourself as well, competitions don't always reward the best piece. These things can be so objective and even political at times that any piece can win.

If they are looking for this style of music, I am sure they will not find much better. I finished the first 2 movements and just started the third. What a great opening. This one is easily my favorite of the 3.

I guess the only way I see to make it better would be to use different flutesfor each player, but if you are using the N flutes you must be in a notation program and I know that you can get limited there.

Good luck again

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

These are really great!

The "alarm" call in the Danse Mystique is surprising but it works for me.

All three have a very refreshing and "tasty" combination of melody, harmony, and rhythm. I had to go back for a second helping. Well done.

Good luck in the competition.

Herb

William, this is superb.

Beautifully thought out, compositionally; and beautifully
    colored and handled with the flutes, as well.

There's a lot written for flute trio. Very little of it is of
    such high caliber as this. Perhaps Bruce at BRS would
    have an interest...?

This one definitely earns one from me:

Bravo!

My best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    Bill

First off good luck with the competition. As many have said to me, maybe even yourself as well, competitions don't always reward the best piece. These things can be so objective and even political at times that any piece can win.
    I am sure you are right. The prise isn't all that great. It's a professional recording of the piece being performed. Well, it's also the prestige and exposure.

If they are looking for this style of music, I am sure they will not find much better. I finished the first 2 movements and just started the third. What a great opening. This one is easily my favorite of the 3.
    The 3rd is by far my favorite also, but I do like the mystique of the 1st and the solitude of the 2nd.

I guess the only way I see to make it better would be to use different flutesfor each player, but if you are using the N flutes you must be in a notation program and I know that you can get limited there.

Ron
    I will try that in sonar and use different flutes to see and compare. I am basically a composer and don't like the tedium on midi manipulation.

Thanks for the listen Ron, I am glad you enjoyed it.

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Euler View Post
    These are really great!

The "alarm" call in the Danse Mystique is surprising but it works for me.
    That alarm is created with multiphonics, difficult to perform but creates a nice tension. Since the flute is basically a sine wave generator, the multiphonics tend to be more tonal (though in actual performance they would be a bit 'harsher'.

Quote Originally Posted by Euler View Post
    All three have a very refreshing and "tasty" combination of melody, harmony, and rhythm. I had to go back for a second helping. Well done.

Good luck in the competition.

Herb
    I hope you enjoyed the second "helping' as well as the first. Thanks for listening, Herb.

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    There's a lot written for flute trio. Very little of it is of such high caliber as this. Perhaps Bruce at BRS would have an interest...?
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Thanks David. These ideas tend to grow quickly from me when I sit to compose. I would be interested in knowing who Bruce is and what BRS is. If you could enlighten, I would be appreciative.

Thanks, as always, for listening. I am hoping that the Flute Society has some good 'fingers' to perform this composition.

Your friend,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Thumbs up Re: Dance Suite for Flutes

Hi Bill,

My favorite is the Pavane ambulance!

The third piece had a Stravinsky feel to it! Suitable for ballet!

Fred

Fred, thanks for listening. The Pavanne was actually the first piece of the trio I wrote. Actually, I borrowed from Stravinsky's writing. The Pavanne borrows from the "Rite of Spring", the 3rd movement is influenced by the "Firebird", the first is, well, "Me".

I am glad you enjoyed it.

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Smile Re: Dance Suite for Flutes

Bill:
    I had written a very eloquent message for you but then I read what David said and saw that he had "stolen" all of my superlatives.
    Whether one likes or dislikes this type of composition (it so happens that I do), this piece must be recognized as a very professional display of musical craftsmanship in all aspects of the art. Kudos, Bravo, Hip, Hip, Hurray, etc.-------but more succinctly, you sure got a lot of music out of those three little lengths of pipe with holes
    I am basically a composer and don't like the tedium on midi manipulation.
    Amen! If you ever decide to run for office, you have my vote!
    Steve

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast