• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Fire and Ice | first choral work

Share/Bookmark

Fire and Ice | first choral work

Hello,
    'Fire and Ice' is inspired by the will to create a modernistic choral piece. Basically I only wanted to experiment a little with writing for SATB chorus, hence I googled for a poem and found one I liked. It's by R.Frost. The theme/idea is very closely connected to the ending of the world.. will the world end in fire.. or ice? Or does it matter at all?
    So here it is. I'm going to share both and mp3 format sound file which doesn't have a live choir singing, but I set the parts for string instruments for best 'timbre' and chord unity, so you could have a slight idea of how it would sound. Also included is a sheet in .pdf, with everything that's related to the piece. I FREELY give this to any choral conductors that might lurk on these forums, if you want to use/sing this, all you have to do is let me know where and when and also, after you've finished performing - send me the mp3 version of the recording I don't fear 'music thieves' that they might steal my work, I just want it to get it out there.

Fire and Ice / poem by Robert Frost

Some say the world will end in fire,
    others say - in ice.
    From what I've tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice,
    I think I've seen enough of hate
    To know that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

music: http://www.box.net/shared/zp4c4l7yju
    sheet: http://www.box.net/shared/mntj86lacz

Enjoy!
    'Music is like this pure thing that exists for its own sake, just to make something perfect..' ~ Ephram Brown

Re: Fire and Ice | first choral work

Brindle

I am not a big choral fan so I am glad this was presented by orchestra.

This works well in the orchestra but I am not sure it would do as well with a choir. But then I am no expert in that at all, so I will leave that to those that know.

But I have always liked Robert Frost!

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Post Re: Fire and Ice | first choral work

Hi Brindle,

These calm dark and bright New-age chords with a religious feel, reflect the serious subject very well!

When the flute appears in the first piece, It gave me an association to the Swedish New-age composer Ralph Lundsten! I don't know if you have heard his music!

My experience of your pieces gave me a Nordic feel with lots of minor chords. There's a melancholic tone throughout the material, which is typical of Nordic choir music.

By the way speaking about Sweden! Did you know that Sweden has the most amount of choir organisations in the world!

Thanks for sharing!

Fred

Brindle:

I haven't written that much for voices, so I don't have a lot of
    specific comments about your structure: harmonic or melodic, but
    listening to the piece as if I didn't know what it was portraying, I
    would have to say that it didn't move too far away from the tonic
    chord throughout. This is not to say that it must, it is just a reaction
    from my listening.

In reading the score, I had a little difficulty following the systems and
    pages although I knew what to expect from reading many PDF scores.
    I think it would be beneficial to (1) put your PAGE NUMBERS at the top
    instead of the bottom of the page and (2), use HASH SEPARATORS between
    your systems to let the reader know that there is more than one system
    per page.

I would like to hear this performed with a choir. I think, really, that it
    would be more convincing that way.

Good job on this Brindle. Keep writing for voices and please let us hear
    some more of your work.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Thanks for the kind words everybody Just a little information for you: I have shown and given the sheet to a conductor in my music school and she 'might' take into her choir's repertoire. If the piece is performed, I'll try my best to get a live recording, although nothing's granted yet.
    'Music is like this pure thing that exists for its own sake, just to make something perfect..' ~ Ephram Brown

Brindle,

it is an interesting coincidence that I called one of my poetry collections "Fire and Ice". Perhaps I had Frost lurking somewhere in my subconscious.

I like the lush chords. Some of them would take my ear some getting used to, and that is coming from a person who grew up musically in very tonal traditions, so I can't say yea or nay to them for that reason. I am still getting more modern harmonies into my ears!

When the flute comes in, how very beautiful.

It occurs to me to ask, though, is this piece way to lovely (and it is!) for a poem about destruction? I hear only peaceful beauty!

Karen :-)

Thanks for the encouraging thoughts!
    But, sorry, where is the flute? Seriously, I don't remember putting any of that into Fire and Ice. There is another piece titled 'Hymn To Hope' that might follow after listening to Fire and Ice, but that is a completely different thing. I think I unshared it in box.net, weird.. it SHOULDN'T play, anyway. Fire and Ice ends on a perfect C-sharp minor tonic chord after about 2:26
    About destruction versus beauty of this: I think that it was intended to be melancholic like some people noticed here already, more like sadness caused by the destruction of world.

I've never tried writing for voices but I've a little knowledge of harmony and its my understanding that unless the choir is of very high quality, the use of major and minor seconds is to be avoided as they are really hard to sing. ( The parallel fifth rule derives from the same thing, they are hard to sing in pitch). May be some of the others on the forum with better knowledge than I have will comment on this for you.

Of course top class singers should be able to do it, but not all choirs are up to it.
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Quote Originally Posted by Brindle View Post
    Thanks for the encouraging thoughts!
    But, sorry, where is the flute? Seriously, I don't remember putting any of that into Fire and Ice. There is another piece titled 'Hymn To Hope' that might follow after listening to Fire and Ice, but that is a completely different thing. I think I unshared it in box.net, weird.. it SHOULDN'T play, anyway. Fire and Ice ends on a perfect C-sharp minor tonic chord after about 2:26
    About destruction versus beauty of this: I think that it was intended to be melancholic like some people noticed here already, more like sadness caused by the destruction of world.

That makes sense.

The flute? Well, I must have mistaken some other sample for flute, sorry!

Yes, I am fully aware that not every choir from every village will be able to sing these, but it is not what I expect anyway. I've been greatly influenced by Eric Whitacre on this, and so I intended it to be difficult and engaging, certainly not for everybody. But when the choir is balanced and solid, the chords will shine, just as you heard in the version with strings. Get your hands on the 'A Cappella Works' of Eric Whitacre and listen to the beginning and end of 'When David Heard' by him. Just marvelous.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast