• Register
  • Help

Topic: newbie question- how to use a downloaded VST?

Share/Bookmark

newbie question- how to use a downloaded VST?

Hi,
    I have Finale 2008 and Garritan. Now I downloaded a VST with some instrument sounds that I think could be useful to me.

I was wondering how I might implement this VST into Garritan/Finale. Or, do I need a program called Kontakt? And is that a free program?

Thanks for the help!

Re: newbie question- how to use a downloaded VST?

Welcome to the forum. You probably need to tell us which VST instrument you have, many of them work by themselves, just open it up.

I don't use Finale but all apps are basically the same.
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

If the VST is not created by Native Instruments you need either NI's Kore 2/Kore Software Edition (not the free Kore Player) to subhost the VST or you can upgrade to Finale 09.

I appreciate the help.

My VST I downloaded is called "DSK Asian DreamZ". The file is a .dll.

Is there any free program (Kore is not) with which I could subhost the VST file, as Nickie suggested?

It may not be easy to find a free VST host, that can itself run as a VST plugin. Bidule can alledgedly do it and, although it is not free, is a lot cheaper than Kore 2/ Kore SE.

Doesn't Finale support VST instruments in .dll format?
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Go Back to forum