• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Pianoid

I hope to see this become available.

Re: Pianoid

Given the technical acuity of what I read, I wouldn't hold your breath.

There's a good thread about this instrument here: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/....php?t=1958154 Hm...So this is a hardware instrument that you program on a computer, using the interface shown in the picture? Or is the sound locked, and programming unavailable to users? (Seems as though they could have explained that more explicitly on the site.) I don't see and release date or even a guess at the price.

Doubt we'll see it. But you can count on Yamaha or somebody else seeing it.

A rack of DSP's used for physically modelled instruments always sounds better, as they are dedicated for the task of audio instead of evrything we'll never use. But the prices will keep everybody in the virtual world where actually more money gets spent over a longer period of time.

Dedicated DAW's for really large instruments, similar to BBB's large VSTi, is a good way to achieve the same results and the prices are probably similar.

The beauty of DSP / Phys. Modded instruments is stability, and no blame game issues. I hate it when I buy a VSTi that won't function correctly. The first question a tech asks is what O.S. and CPU are you using? It sounds like a driver / soundcard problem.............whatever.

It reminds of Bionic FX from years ago that used the unused GPU's of our video cards to re produce some top shelf sounding reverbs. They should have used less capable algorhythims, it would have sold better.

They demonstrated it at Musikmesse, so they do seem to be pressing forward. But I worry that the price will just be too high for a sound that may not be able to compete with PianoTeq or future versions of PianoTeq. At even $1K, it will lose the hobbyist and closet composer market to software. The GEM hard piano modules are around $550 and get excellent reviews, but I don't think they have huge sales. Even professionals will need to hear a sound that it is much, much better than the best current pianos to add a new piece of hardware to their systems at the price that I suspect the creators of Pianoid will charge. Which is really too bad. The more good piano sounds, the better.

A friend of mine told me about this last year and couldn't remember the name. But was at Musikmesse to demo the Solaris.

He was impressed and I trust his ears as he's a highly sought after FOH / Monitor engineer. Given that and the mp3 I heard w/ zero effects, is enough to sell me. I have too many libraries and VSTi's and some are fine for my needs, but I would rather have a hardware DSP Piano so I could use even more quality romplers and libraries on my DAW.

The best feature is that they DO have functioning pedals......all 3 !!! What a concept. I could do a solo gig w/ a 2U and a Bose L1 3 way. Set up and tear down time would be fast, and the idea of not having a DAW running is a bonus also.

You know you're getting old when you used nothing but analog hardware, then went digital, and then back to hardware.

hey jimmy, I sent you an mp3 of the pianoid demo on Z. Was wondering if you got the PM. If it didn't work, let me know. Their pianoid's most recent result, which is on their blog, sounds amazing. I mean, to me pianoteq is playable and all, but just sounds completely horrid, I just have to be honest about this. (sorry, but it's just my opinion) So I'm very biased.

I talked to the pianoid people, they said they were moving forward to with creating a second rack mounted prototype.. so I think the project is moving along. They're going to record a new demo soon, so I'm looking forward to hearing that.

I have to weigh in here to say that PianoTeq sounds great, but it may take some time to understand the parameters on the interface, and, just as importantly, how they interact--you often have to change more than one to edit the sound, since each change you make has an effect on all of the other parameters.

I'm also looking forward to trying out the upcoming Alchemy from Camel Audio. According to the spec sheet, it lets you load samples and resynthesize them with up to 600 partials to create each note, and assign velocity to modulate which partials appear, their amplitude, etc. Camel has created a new resynthesis engine that is better than the one in Cameleon (possibly mainly because the new version uses so many more partials.) Looks promising. If I understand correctly, we'll be able to load in piano samples, resythsize them so that they takes up much less space, manipulate the partials any way we want (add\subtract\tune\change the volume of each partial, etc) and then save it into a preset that will take up much less space than the orginal set of samples. Not quite the same thing as a modelled instrument, but it gets very close.

Also has several voices, so that the same sound manipulations can be performed on other resynthesized sounds like hammer strikes and soundboard resonance. Looks amazing, and there will be a demo to download.

Along with Omnisphere, which doesn't let you load your own samples, this could really change the universe for creating and manipulating sounds.

Let me know how that goes. Cameleon is an excellent Additive synth, so I would like to hear another product from them.

Sorry--forgot to post the link. Here's the spec sheet, snapshot of the interface, and overview: http://www.camelaudio.com/Alchemy.php

Go Back to forum