• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hats off to you masters

Share/Bookmark

Hats off to you masters

Have you guys ever been overwhelmed by the amount of articulations in a library? I just watched the video demo for VSL solo strings

http://vsl.co.at/en/211/442/344/350/1030/643.htm#

What a humbilng experience. So many different sounds that a violin can make. I'm a drummer. Two articulations "Hit the drum hard" and "Hit the drum harder on ladies night"

How do you know when you should use a ponticello? (didn't General Motors stop making the ponticello in '69? )

My hats off to the guys that are pushing libs like VSL to the limit. Dudes like Jay Bacal, Maarten Spruijt, Nick Phoenix, Thomas J, etc

So much to learn... but so darn inspiring!

All the very best,

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Re: Hats off to you masters

WOW! That is one impressive demo. Might be the most realistic solo violin I've heard in samples... Guy Bacos is definitely a talented composer/sequencer, too Interesting side-note, my girlfriend (Jillian Goldin) has worked with him a few times, providing soprano vocals for various pieces of his.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

Nick Phoenix? He's one of VSL's enemies! (EWQL producer)

Quote Originally Posted by B.C.Johnson View Post
    Sorry to go off topic, but I can't let this go unanswered: The term "enemy" is so wrong that it hurts, especially in a thread that started with such a positive vibe.

I know that it was meant to be taken with a grain of salt, but please: Don't talk about music, musical instruments, music productions etc. with the same vocabulary politicians and brain-dead patriotic nationalists tend to use. Just because Nick Phoenix has different ideas about sound and sampling doesn't make him an "enemy" - quite on the contrary! I'm sure I'd enjoy to talk with _him_ a lot more than with quite a few of other people on this planet. 8-)

Thanks for your understanding.

IM(very)HO, VI solo strings, like many other titles from their libraries (including the "old" Vienna Pro Edition), are not less than the best on market.

Unfortunately, they just lack that synthy-quality sound that here and there still affects some among their competitors.

What a pity...

I just bought a couple of pdf books from Alexander Publishing.

They come with several demos from Jay Bacal and Andrew Blaney + VSL/VI.

If I will be able to do a tenth of what they did (Debussy's Jeux de Vagues, to say), I'll consider myself luckily satisfied...

Mac Pro Quad Core, 23" Apple Cinema, Logic Pro 8.x + VSL PRO Edition, some of the VI's, GPO, Ivory, Edirol UA-25 audio card, Event TR6 monitors, 1 girlfriend (Ines).

Thumbs up Re: Hats off to you masters

Quote Originally Posted by Dietz View Post
    , but please: Don't talk about music, musical instruments, music productions etc. with the same vocabulary politicians and brain-dead patriotic nationalists tend to use. Just because Nick Phoenix has different ideas about sound and sampling doesn't make him an "enemy" - quite on the contrary! I'm sure I'd enjoy to talk with _him_ a lot more than with quite a few of other people on this planet. 8-)

Thanks for your understanding.
    Very well said! In another thread on another forum, Nick also lauded the new Symphobia and was encouraging people to buy that rather than look for a cheaper knock-off. The fraternity of sample library developers is indeed a nice thing to witness. People in a competitive industry who still support one another. thumbs up gents!

Edit- Darren, in response to your question about sul ponticello its translation from Italian means "play close to the bridge" which gives the sound a more metallic tone to the stringed instrument. It works well in tandem with tremolo and a good example of this can be heard in much of the Godzilla and Majin scores. Of course it is used elsewhere too such as in Elliot Goldenthal's Alien3, John Corigliano's Altered States, and a lot in the various works of Varese. It is used most often these days for horror scores because of its slightly abrasive timbre.

Just to clarify, my comments were not about any specific library (although I did mention VSL's demo). They were more about the incredible talent of these musician's and many others that not only know their software and use it to it's fullest, but more importantly have such a depth with their musical knowledge and talents.

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Whoa, sorry, he's a competitor. I was jokingly referring to him as an enemy, hence the

Whoa, sorry, he's a competitor. I was jokingly referring to him as an enemy, hence the
    Yes, I know, but I was in a "keep things in perspective"-state-of-mind. Too many things are taken too serious, these days.

... otherwise I would have answered with the classic dictum: "Competition? What competition?" ;-D

Go Back to forum