• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: O Holy Night for full orchestra

Share/Bookmark

O Holy Night for full orchestra

A first cut at my holiday album entry -- i'm having some problems with copying data and getting midi artifacts (i think) so some of the volume changes are not smooth. but I'm still working with it.

If I get really ambitious, I might get it downstairs to the audio studio and try to sing with it. Maybe.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6885465

Re: O Holy Night for full orchestra

Karen

I like the concept. I'm anxious to hear it when you get the the volumes straightened out but it's on the way to being an outstanding arrangement. I don't really feel competent to comment on what might be the problems you have mentioned but I do like what you are doing.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

Thanks, Jaybee -- btw, I like your slogan -- "Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity" lotsa larfs for that one! ;-)

-- K

Karen - a beautiful choice of material and some very good arranging here. Even though you obviously did not compose the song, one still has to be very creative and talented to put all this together. For some reason I especially liked it about a third of the way in to the end. (hard to tell though as there is now time indicator on the site) Maybe I was just getting into the spirit of the piece or maybe you were-or both.

As for adding your vocal, I think it would be nice for certain part of it but why not let your orchestral skills shine too.

I know this is a work in progress so I won't comment on the recording quality etc (yet!)

thanks for sharing!

Del
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

Karen

I'm the kind of guy that likes Christmas because I get another day off. The music has been jammed down my throat for as long as I can remember and I am mostly bored with it.

With that said....

You have done a very good job of presenting this one.

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Karen:
    I was afraid that starting off the way you did with so much going on that you would have trouble sustaining momentum and interest, but then again, I should know better where you are concerned.

Two critique points: (1) after such a big build up, the ending was a let down, and (2) if you are going to "reharmonize," make it a very obvious substitution so that everyone knows it was meant to be. A couple of places sounded harmonically anemic to me.
    Overall though, an A- (nobody is perfect) for such a very dramatic rendition.

Isn't it fun re-creating other peoples melodies? Like it or not, with your ear and creative imagination, you're a natural born arranger. Hurray for our side!

Steve

Hi Del, Ron and Steve,
    thanks for listening.

Steve,
    thanks especially for the critique points -- that is what really helps me. It is very true that it is hard to do a good buildup -- i'm not totally satisfied with the middle section, and will try to work with the points you mention.

But today, it is tax organizing time for me (yuk!) but I have to get it over with -- I filed an extension when my mom got really ill, and i am behond on everything.... once i get this out of the way, it will be a big relief....

Thanks again everyone, for all the good input!
    Karen

Steve,
    ps. yes, I really do enjoy arranging, too. To bring out the orginal composer's intention, but adding one's own little stylistic touches seems to be a delightfully delicate balancing act.

On the harmonies -- part of the reason for the awkward harmonic substitutions is that I am doing this simply by ear, and copy-paste-modify and with my lack of short term memory, I don't always remember what I heard before. I think this is where I ought to sit down and do a harmonic analysis of the piece (at least the chords). Then I could be more conscious of where I am using substitute chords. And your very astute ear picked up the sloppiness in that process very accurately. I indeed felt sloppy doing parts of this.

On the let-down issue, I have to think about that -- toward the end, where it gets quiet after that high climax, I am assuming you mean? I've been singing with this thing, and the times I've heard this tune, it does come down a bit to a more tender and slower ending, though maybe not as much as I am doing here.

I am still working on it, too -- the rough dynamic transitions which I think is something I did in Finale while copying that messed things up.

Anyway, thanks -- I very much appreciate the good "grade" from such an enormously gifted arranger! (If only I could arrange jazz tunes! But that's a whole other lifetime of learning.... :-) )

Best wishes,
    Karen

yes, I really do enjoy arranging, too. To bring out the orginal composer's intention, but adding one's own little stylistic touches seems to be a delightfully delicate balancing act.
    To add one's own ideas to a tune is SOP but often we deliberately go against, or at least astray, of the composer's original intent.
    A substitute harmonic language will come with lots of listening and practice.

On the let-down issue, I have to think about that -- toward the end, where it gets quiet after that high climax, I am assuming you mean? I've been singing with this thing, and the times I've heard this tune, it does come down a bit to a more tender and slower ending, though maybe not as much as I am doing here.
    I was thinking more in terms of the length of the ending. I like your idea of a calming, just calm me a bit longer to really settle things down.
    (If only I could arrange jazz tunes!)
    This very thought goes through my mind every time I start on a new chart.

Your ardent fan,

Steve

It's a very beautiful arrangement. I've always liked this piece and you sure have breathed new life into it.

I'm not sure about the sound of the harp but I guess you are still smoothing things out.

I know it's going to be great.

I'd like to hear you sing. I'm a baritone myself.

We have a woman in our choir who sings bass. La la la la Lola.

Phil

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast