• Register
  • Help

Topic: Spirits in a corrupt world

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb Spirits in a corrupt world

"Spirits in a corrupt world"

Hi everybody, from young to old!

This piece was inspired by a Police song from the 80s, called "Spirits in the material world". Composed by Sting.
    My piece is a free association piece, inspired by the Police song title. The music is my own. The beat is 9/4 in the beginning!

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::

Also watch the trailer of my documentary movie "MAN OF THE RIVER", which I made 2005.
    It's about one of Sweden's most known contemporary composers, RALPH LUNDSTEN.

I and my wife went to the north of Sweden together with him to search into his past, interviewing him about his childhood. Here is a short trailer of the dvd that can be purchased. (60 minutes long.)

I'm the guy sitting in a yellow Lacoste shirt, interviewing Ralph!

enjoy,

Fred

Re: Spirits in a corrupt world

Hey, what about the 30 somethings!? no hello for them?

The best parts: the beginning and end. You really know how to open the door dramatically then slam it shut. Everything in between was very interesting and laid back - cool - and relaxed with a bit of melancholy. The combo of drum set and orchestra was very effective and worked quite remarkably. I do hear the inspiration of the Police song. In the late 80's my bother listened to them all day long in his bedroom next to mine! But I like them now. Back then it was Duran Duran for me! Yes, I said it! - Duran Duran.

Wonderful and original work Fredrik!

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Cool Re: Spirits in a corrupt world

Hi Michael,

Police was an interesting band!

I remember an interview with Sting, where he was asked what his favorite music was. He answered Gustav Mahler! I was surprised to hear that back in the 80s, coming from a man who has composed "Roxanne".

My song, "Spirits in a corrupt world" was one of many songs that I performed live in the 80s, while playing both bass and singing at the same time. This was very interesting, to sing one line and then play another line on bass at the same time. Requires a feeling for polyrythmics, like what a drummer does, playing on several drums and cymbals at the same time.

I also listened to Duran Duran! I remember their 007 James Bond song "A View to a Kill" which they did together with John Barry. I really like that one! So professional and Simon le Bon's voice on that track is superb!

Fred

Fredrik, always a surprise from you -- very different
    from so much of what you write... an interesting amalgam
    of popular idiom infused with tinges of (probably inescapable
    for you) Classical inference, and Minimalist influence.

Nice work!

My best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Fredrik, this is great! Love it! Very, very interesting. Some great instrumentation, great lines, very captivating. Excellent ending!

Chris

Cool Re: Spirits in a corrupt world

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    Fredrik, always a surprise from you -- very different
    from so much of what you write... an interesting amalgam
    of popular idiom infused with tinges of (probably inescapable
    for you) Classical inference, and Minimalist influence.

Nice work!

My best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Hi David,

The beat is 9/4 in the beginning! It was fun to use a irregular beat in a pop song, lol!

Mémoires de l’Égypte - 4:14 min - GPO only
    Some years later the old French general lies on his deathbed in his home at Avenue Wagram, central Paris. A young maid takes care of him.
    When she gives him a glass of water, he get's a flashback that takes him back to the days when he was part of the famous Egypt expedition.
    One of Napoleon's scientists discovered how to decipher the hyroglyphs. "Yes! Those were the days!" He says to the young woman, who get's more and more excited by the pictures that the old general fills her young mind with. Then he adds: "One time, we all even had to learn how to ride camels!" He points at a painting standing on a tripod on the right side of his bed. Suddenly his eyes become cold and his head falls on the side. The old general is dead! The maid cries throughout the night, remembering each word that he had spoken.

Go Back to forum