• Register
  • Help

Topic: A short piece in a retro style (Garritan Steinway)

A short piece in a retro style (Garritan Steinway)

Hi, this is my first piece here. It seems a vals in some parts, i tried to evoke an old and elegant style. I wanted explore all dynamic range and too the soft pedal in certain places. This piece was performed with the close perspective (only available in version Pro). The only annoying issue is the noise that appears using the resonance sustain. This problem have been reported and will be fixed in the update (i hope).

Re: A short piece in a retro style (Garritan Steinway)

Hey Mr. K,

Welcome to the forum!

An absolutely beautiful introduction of your talent!
    I like the "retro" style, very romantic with wonderful chromaticism.
    You must have been playing for some time - your professional talent shines through in this work. Can't wait to hear more from you.
    The melodies and harmonic structure are very elegant - wonderful job on this!

Much enjoyed.

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music

Welcome to the forum

This is a very romantic piece and is a great way to introduce yourself here.

I have just started to use the GASP but I have found that using less volume gets rid of a lot of the problems you have stated. Then I kick it back up in an audio editor. That might help some.

Regardless, still a nice piece.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

Welcome. This is a nice piece and well performed. That extra sound you get can be surpressed just by setting that resonance to zero. You still have access to the pedal mechanism then, I noticed. Another method is, when you use a sequencer to put the CC#64 - on/off exactly ON the note, at least I had success with this in a couple of occasions. Here and there it is a bit to loud and clipping.

Thanks Michael, Ron and Raymond for your welcome and for your words and recomendations. I´m glad to be here. I like a lot all this retro stuff, my works always are all about this. About the noise issue if i set the sustain resonance to zero, i lost the sustain effect. In the Steinway section, someone talked about garritan is aware of this situaton and is already fixed for the next software update. I´m waiting for this update with impatience. Thanks again!.

Hats off to you! Very nice playing and composition! I'm swept up by the dynamics... Are you sure this isn't a real piano?
    This makes me see the 'close perspective' in a new, er, perspective. Sounds very convincing.

Mr. K:

Really marvelous sound and use of a "three-note" motive. I haven't
    used the Close Perspective yet, but I will run some of my piano scores
    through it. Right now, I am addicted to the "Under the Lid" perspective.

Listened more than once and this piece really shows the beautiful
    sound and quality that the GASP can produce. I totally agree with
    Ron (Rolifer) that it can be "overplayed" and made to sound very
    gutteral. If that result is being experienced, Ron's suggestion of playing
    a little lighter/softer and then raising the result later, willl help maintain
    the beautiful tone of the GASP. When one plays a Steinway, they have
    a tendency to really "get into it" and become more forceful. From my
    experience, I can say that I have had to "lay back" some so that my
    bold attack doesn't overplay the instrument. Yes, I know that there
    are 5 velocity levels, but I think keeping in mind that the instrument is
    a software instrument, and a great one, it needs to be thought of in a
    different light than a real acoustic, gigantic, grand piano.

Really great playing and writing, Mr. K. I would love to hear more of
    your work.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Welcome, mrkeyboard!

Beautifully composed and expertly played!

Enjoyed it very much!

Will look forward to more...

Thanks Jun, Jack and Judit. I´m glad that you enjoyed it. The close perspective is my favourite, but "under the lid" is in the second place (a very clear and detailed sound). The last one is the player perspective, i don´t like it at all, it sounds dull. My next work that i´ll place here will be using "Under the lid".

I love too the sound using the soft pedal in order to change the timbre, it has a beautiful one and is uneven, offering a rich texture and color of tone in the different dynamics and registers. This richness of color variations is for me the distinctive of Steinway above other pianos.

It seems I'm rather late, MK, in getting to your
    earliest post. But hey, I was early getting to
    your latter posts, by the same logic... lol.

Absolutely gorgeous work... beautifully written and
    lovingly played -- that's an unbeatable combination.

I listened through this several times with much
    pleasure, my friend, very well done.

My best,

David Sosnowski

Go Back to forum