• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Hidden Kingdom" (My Best Piece Yet) - Full Orchestra

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb "Hidden Kingdom" (My Best Piece Yet) - Full Orchestra

Aha! It is complete! (As of a month ago)

Like most of the pieces posted up on here, this one has a story.

Somewhere in the 6th grade -- when I was beginning to compose in software -- I came up with a couple of fantastical melodies. I took them and made a String Orchestra piece in Finale NotePad that was a minute or so... it turned out okay.

Buahahaha! My thirteenth birthday, January 8th; I'm a much better composer, more passionate about it and composing a heck of a lot more frequently. Soooo, I order Sibelius 5 with my Christmas monies and my parents buy me GPO (Yes, yes, I know what you're thinking... kids these days, spoiled, I know. >.<)!! Exciting day for me. It takes a week or so to get shipped down here, which the whole time I'm reorchestrating and rearranging those melodies in my head. Sibelius finally arrives and I began!!!

SEVEN. MONTHS. LATER. Oh.. my... GOSH. It took so long for just six minutes! I was getting Composer's Block -- which lasted from as short as a day or so to as long as a MONTH -- every effing eight-to-sixteen measures!!!! A lot of you know how annoying this can be. Y'know, I was able to work on and complete quite a few other pieces while I was stuck on this one.. but still.

BUT, taking seven months on this... It gave me a lot of time to really think about the piece. Within this time period, my composing knowledge and skills were improving. I did quite a few edits as I went through this. Even when I went on Ohio to visit family, during the trip I was scribbling down things to add in this, things to change in this, etc.

And it really turned out to be great. This is currently my favorite piece of mine.

Soooo... seeing as how I took such so much work and time on this, I need to know!!!: What do you think... and what can be better?

Wow, thanks for reading all that. This is all GPO, except for one of the mark trees, which is from the Sibelius Essentials library. Enjoy!!!

string quartet (ˈstriŋ kwȯr-ˈtet) n. a good violinist, a bad violinist, an ex-violinist, and someone who hates violinists, all getting together to complain about composers

Re: "Hidden Kingdom" (My Best Piece Yet) - Full Orchestra

Great job, evokes an irish or celtic flavor to me, like an ancient realm of fantasy. Thanks for share it. Have you thought to perform the main theme using a violin solo in some place?

you're how old? and you're writing like this? wow. you are truly a godsend for modern music. as jealous as I am at your prodogical abilities, i am also very impressed. dont ever stop writing.
    Yours Truly,
    TubaJediMaster
    May the Fourth Be With You

My demos:
    http://www.box.net/shared/ejtluyupfb

Quote Originally Posted by mrkeyboard View Post
    Great job, evokes an irish or celtic flavor to me, like an ancient realm of fantasy. Thanks for share it. Have you thought to perform the main theme using a violin solo in some place?
    Thanks! Somehow, most of my music is pointed out to have a celtic flavor. Funnily enough, I don't think I have many celtic influences that I've listened to. Hmm...

Well, I never thought of the solo violin idea. Only thing is, GPO is pretty much all I have and I'm not sure how to (if I'm at all able to) control the vibrato on the GPO's Solo Strad in Sibelius - I could never get it to sound just right...

Quote Originally Posted by tubajedimr View Post
    you're how old? and you're writing like this? wow. you are truly a godsend for modern music. as jealous as I am at your prodogical abilities, i am also very impressed. dont ever stop writing.
    Thanks! I'm currently 13. Yeah, my whole family is very musical - my dad's actually a full-time musician.

Quote Originally Posted by jjloving View Post
    Daniel my friend, good to see you around - haven't chatted in a while!

First of all - it sounded awfully familiar, so I went back through what you had sent me and no "Hidden Dragons"...then I found it, the ever descriptive "untitled"

I'm quite impressed with where you've taken this piece. A solid piece of music beginning to end. I especially enjoyed your passing of the melody between bassoon, trumpet, and trombone - very well thought out and played nicely into the style at those moments in the piece.

Seven months well spent - another fine job!

Jon

oh by the way, have you ever seen a tenor clef...
    Hello, Jon!

Aha, yes. It feels a bit odd having a name for this... For several months my mind has known and referred to this piece as "Untitled". Sean Hannifin helped me name it. As it has so many different "feels" throughout the song, the very general name of "Hidden Kingdom" felt appropriate.

Thank you, I'm glad you're impressed. That part was fun to do.

Gah, the tenor clef... >.< I took that out, as -- quoting you -- the horn player would shoot me if I ever gave 'em a score with that in it. I really don't know what I was thinking putting that in there - I really can't remember. xP

It's kind of funny, actually. I passed it while it was in progress to quite a few composer friends, and each of them knew it as different things the piece included. Like, you know it as "the tenor clef one", Sean knows it as "the one with the woodwinds" (referring to the part where the woodwinds are pretty much going crazy in the orchestration), my other friend Aldric knows it as "the one with the harp issue" (referring to a particular part that harp needed a smoother transition between themes)... and so on. :P

Haha.

Regards,
    string quartet (ˈstriŋ kwȯr-ˈtet) n. a good violinist, a bad violinist, an ex-violinist, and someone who hates violinists, all getting together to complain about composers

Daniel:

Very definite Celtic flavor to this piece. A very well-defined
    plan however and good orchestral scoring.

Enjoyed listening to your favorite piece Daniel. One thing I
    did notice was your instruments were mixed in a wide spectrum:
    very far left and very far right. Nothing wrong with that if that's
    what you want, but sometimes a plan like that will make the
    individual sections of the orchestra sound like "independent"
    groups instead of a homogeneous orchestra. Small point.

Very good sectional work that breaks the continued full orchestra
    sound. Very important point for all composers to note. I have been
    guilty many times for writing too full a score. Gets monotonous after
    awhile.

Keep writing Daniel. You will be surprised at your progress
    and all of the possibilities awaiting you............

BRAVO,

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2 View Post
    Daniel:

Very definite Celtic flavor to this piece. A very well-defined
    plan however and good orchestral scoring.

Enjoyed listening to your favorite piece Daniel. One thing I
    did notice was your instruments were mixed in a wide spectrum:
    very far left and very far right. Nothing wrong with that if that's
    what you want, but sometimes a plan like that will make the
    individual sections of the orchestra sound like "independent"
    groups instead of a homogeneous orchestra. Small point.

Very good sectional work that breaks the continued full orchestra
    sound. Very important point for all composers to note. I have been
    guilty many times for writing too full a score. Gets monotonous after
    awhile.

Keep writing Daniel. You will be surprised at your progress
    and all of the possibilities awaiting you............

BRAVO,

Jack

Thank you for you kind words!

I really didn't mess with the default mix in Sibelius. I should probably move it all a bit more in.

Thank you for listening.

Regards,

Hi Daniel,
    from one Daniel to another, I am impressed with your music!
    It is a great thing to make music that sounds happy as this does.

Jack (Rhap2) has great advice.

I have talked to some incredibly talented people in this world, some who are
    old enough to have had sessions with greats like Samuel Barber and Stravinsky,
    my friend Jack de Mello told me that Stravinsky told him that many
    composers write notes way after the piece has finished.

Thank you for posting your music here for us.

DPDanny

Daniel - Firstly I really enjoyed your music! Positive and upbeat! If you keep this pace up by the time you are 20, well, who knows! Music (passion and hard work) are definitely in your genes. Lots of kids have the genes but they don't develop it which is a waste - so give yourself credit!. If you were my son I would have bought you GPO and then some. This is called encouragement and nurturing - not spoiling. Huge difference!

Del
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN View Post
    Hi Daniel,
    from one Daniel to another, I am impressed with your music!
    It is a great thing to make music that sounds happy as this does.

Jack (Rhap2) has great advice.

I have talked to some incredibly talented people in this world, some who are
    old enough to have had sessions with greats like Samuel Barber and Stravinsky,
    my friend Jack de Mello told me that Stravinsky told him that many
    composers write notes way after the piece has finished.

Thank you for posting your music here for us.

DPDanny
    Thank you! Wow - amazing..

Thanks for listening!

Quote Originally Posted by DelCarry View Post
    Daniel - Firstly I really enjoyed your music! Positive and upbeat! If you keep this pace up by the time you are 20, well, who knows! Music (passion and hard work) are definitely in your genes. Lots of kids have the genes but they don't develop it which is a waste - so give yourself credit!. If you were my son I would have bought you GPO and then some. This is called encouragement and nurturing - not spoiling. Huge difference!

Del
    Thanks! Music is my life - we live and breathe it in this house. Encouragement and nurturing... that makes me feel better.

Daniel

Everyone of us older guys in here wish we had the technology that is available today when we were 13 years oold. That doesn't mean we would have been capable of composing as well as you at comparable ages, but many of us at least would have been trying.

Very nice work. Keep it up!

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast