• Register
  • Help

Topic: Another Finale 09 question

Share/Bookmark

Another Finale 09 question

What is the consensus on notation versus sequencing programs. I have never found an adequate way to manipulate midi data in finale but I may be missing something.
    For example, how would I change mod wheel data in a simple way to add vibrato. Could I get all the alternative attacks, breath noise, key noise for example, to happen as a result of an expression mark?

The reason this is such a pain to me is that I just bought a laptop with vista so I got the new version of Finale. Now my sequencer needs to be updated, I have 3 keyboards, none of which have the correct combination of after touch, working mod wheel and working sus pedal.

It would be nice to have this all work in finale but I suspect I should be working with a sequencer.

btw, The other reason for these questions is that I just finished 3 big band charts and would LOVE to just record them with the Garritan library.

Re: Another Finale 09 question

Brian-

I think we all share your dream of the one ideal tool for composing and professional audio creation, unfortunately, at this time that tool remains a dream.

For those who compose with the written note, Finale is the best tool. From there the audio sequencer gives the most control over midi data to create the best playback and finally the best audio file.

Finale is not a pro-audio program. It is a very powerful composition/engraving tool and I suppose we should be happy that it is superior in this one area as opposed to a "jack of all trades, master of none".

Both of the things you ask about are easily accomplished, and demonstrate the two areas you need to become familiar with to get the performance you want out of Finale.

MIDI Tool: Use this to set MIDI data that changes over time. You would use this to control the mod wheel for instance. It’s crude, but it works

Non-Printing Expressions: Use these to set controller values, make patch changes, etc. You would use this to change articulations and playing techniques for an instrument.

Hope this helps,
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by wcreed View Post
    Both of the things you ask about are easily accomplished, and demonstrate the two areas you need to become familiar with to get the performance you want out of Finale.

MIDI Tool: Use this to set MIDI data that changes over time. You would use this to control the mod wheel for instance. It’s crude, but it works

Non-Printing Expressions: Use these to set controller values, make patch changes, etc. You would use this to change articulations and playing techniques for an instrument.

Hope this helps,
    Bill
    Bill,

Is there a tutorial for this in Finale? I must confess that I haven't gotten very far into the learning curve but I intend to make a dent in that this week. Knowing this would greatly help my workflow.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

Not that I know, other than what’s in the manual.

They’ve put all their eggs in the Human Playback basket, and haven’t upgraded the MIDI tool in years.

There are some explanations in the TOC, just open up the help file and search for midi tool.

edit: I just looked and tutorial 6 has some info on the midi tool as well, and includes a walk through of making a decrescendo among other things. its kind of a pain, but you will see if you do the tutorial that the results are pretty realistic

Go Back to forum