• Register
  • Help

Topic: Check out this performance by a very talented 10-yr old (Carry on my Wayward Son)

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up Check out this performance by a very talented 10-yr old (Carry on my Wayward Son)

So here I am in London having a much needed Sunday “lie in”, and happened to stumble upon this awesome live performance of Carry on my Wayward Son by a very talented 10-yr old Japanese girl! And chances are, she can roll right into Mozart! Prepare to be impressed!

http://www.fastonkeys.com/other/must...l-keyboardist/

Re: Check out this performance by a very talented 10-yr old (Carry on my Wayward Son)

Awesome !!

Her little feet are quite good, considering on the B3 us Yankess were taught to keep our knees close together for accuracy's sake.

I would think that classical would already be embedded in this little beauty.

I'd love to hear her do Long Time. One of the better Organ intros from the same era by Boston.

Always wondered why they named themselves after States, City's and Bridges back then?

Very Nice, Domo.

JimmyV

Re: Check out this performance by a very talented 10-yr old (Carry on my Wayward Son)

I concur Jimmy! Did some subsequent research and understand the rig is a Yamaha Electone. Do you know whether these are sold over here in the States? Apparently, there's quite a sub-culture of Electone players in Japan, but this is first time bI've seen one - let alone being played by the likes of her?

Apparently she's now age 11 and I found another video of her performing YYZ (and updated the original post on my blog). Pretty impressive!

Her little outfit with the white hat is so classy..........
    There was an old timer that got hip back in the mid '80's who had a Hammond B3 w/ a Leslie 147 & DX7 on the top. He had been playing the same gig in Tahoe for over 40 years !! Played the pedals like nobody's business.

It was a lost art form until I saw this vids. Japanese kids are just incredible. We seemed to influence Japan's culture thanks to the Peace that follows war, and it seems as though they are returning the favor with these amazingly talented children. The young baseball players I especially find shocking.

I must see this Yamaha Electone. It's a live performance teaching experience just being able to play one of those.

Nice Blog,

Matane ( Mata Atode )
    JimmyV

sorry-dont mean to be rude. There is a lot I love about the Japanese- but pop music isnt something they do particularly well.

I found this very uninspiring and extremely unmusical. But given it's a 11 year old- perhaps there is hope.

I've heard and seen a LOT of Japanese musical performances and more than once come away with the feeling of "button pushers". Of course, there are many exceptions but this just left me with a "so what" feeling. The kids are cute and all, but I wonder what they are being taught about creativity, individuality, and soul. I just rarely hear Japanese pop musicians do this.

Perhaps because the instrument itself, while it covers many sounds, sounds just awful. Really, none of those samples sound good whatsoever and dont compare to even mid level pro stuff.

It's kind of odd that,in this day of extremely high quality samples, this kind of instrument still reeks of "lounginess". It's a good idea, I suppose but falls far short of what it wants to be.

Lastly-to be fair- I wish I had played that well at 11.

Well, perhaps misunderstood, but sharing this had very little to do with the gal's ethnicity. I just found it refreshing that a youngster, a girl no less, had developed this affinity for progressive rock, and could handle a rig like the Electone. The fact that she's of Japanese origin is the least significant thing imo. Obviously a lot of credit is owed to her parents for encouraging their child to play what she enjoys.

and neither did I think you did. This is just an observation by me and,btw, some of my japanese friends. i happen to find it interesting how different cultures try to interpret american pop/rok.

Dont get your feelings hurt. I was just underwhelmed. There are a million of these kids doing this stuff. And,I can't for the life of me understand what is so exciting about that instrument. It really sounds bad. And she is playing it like a B-3 which is very common but definitely cool for a munchkin.

nuff said.

Go Back to forum