• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Acceleration of Time

Share/Bookmark

The Acceleration of Time

The older you are the more you will appreciate the title.

This is three minutes and twenty eight seconds of crescendo and acceleration.

The mp3 is good. GPO Steinway.

The Acceleration of Time

Richard

Re: The Acceleration of Time

An interesting experiment. It's certainly a different approach to music and requires you to listen differently.

Phil

You're a little ahead of me on the matter of "the older you are",
    my friend; but I'm gaining on you, and know exactly what you're
    talking about.

As one who fiddles incessantly (though not progressively) with
    temporal manipulation, I did enjoy the effect!

My best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Yes, I have felt that acceleration since some while back. When I was a kid, an hour seemed like a lot of time, and interminable if I were waiting for something...in college, an hour could go by very quickly, but a lifetime seemed endless -- time enough to do anything I wanted. At 30, I realized, most viscerally, that I was mortal. At 40, I almost proved it! and realized that my life was more than likely more than half over, and things that were important to me took an urgency. So here I sit, edging toward 50 and wondering what kind of asymptotic curve is pushing the sand in my hourglass!

Your music, for me, depicts much the state my brain seems to be in at the moment!

I think that it is not only our own consciousness, but also the collective, that is speeding up, heating up ("I can't hold her there, Cap'n, she's gonna blow!"). the image i had with this music was information spilling over us at a rate too fast to assimilate, which is much how I often feel. I have read somewhere that we assimilate, in a single day, the amount of information that a medieval peasant might assimilate in a whole lifetime. We have information indigestion. And yet, I find myself (almost) always hungry for more despite that...

How did you write this? Playing it, or entering notes, or....?

Thanks Mr. Wayland!

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by KE Peace View Post

How did you write this? Playing it, or entering notes, or....?

Karen
    Well, I have written some other things since this once, and the details of the composing are gone! But, my usual method is to write out a sketch of some sort, with pencil and paper, while sitting at my desk or on the front porch, sometimes very complete. Entry to the computer is via Sonar and a controller keyboard, usually via step time, taking care to use the same fingering and touch control that I would use playing it in tempo, which helps create the illusion of realism. Then follows the editing, done with mouse, computer keyboard, or midi controller. Often there are thirty or more versions on the computer during the composing.

Richard

Thumbs up Re: The Acceleration of Time

Richard:

While I probably have sox and shorts that are older than Karen, she has captured my feelings and reaction to a tee. I would add that I think this also proves that while some of us may be getting "on in years", we can still poke a little fun at ourselves as well as indulging in some whimsy.

Steve

Richard

I completely understand the acceleration of time. Being a confirmed space traveler (reaching speeds close to the speed of light), time is always being relative and a constant pain in the posterior. It may even be my fault that time here on earth goes so fast. I just gotta learn to slow down.

Nice conception of the phenomenon. (Or property of the universe if you prefer).

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Quote Originally Posted by sosmus View Post
    Richard:

While I probably have sox and shorts that are older than Karen [...]

Steve
    I doubt it -- I'm probably older than you think Steve! Makeup and digital photography go a long way LOL! Plus I've always been mistaken for younger than I am.

Wanna take a guess? (I won't be offended)

Cheers,

K

Go Back to forum