• Register
  • Help

Topic: Forgotten Heroes

Forgotten Heroes

I composed this one not long after I finished an insanely labor intensive Math course that I did this summer at the University of Maryland.

I almost forgot about it, but found it again this weekend and fiddled around with it some more to come up with this version.

There is still a little work to be done to it, which I might be able to do tonight. There is a spot that needs a little quantisizing. I do that one note at a time, so it takes some work.

The samples are GPO and others.

Here it is

Comments are appreciated

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

Re: Forgotten Heroes

Hey Ron,

Listened to this twice while eating lunch.

I really liked your theme development; your "big brass announcements" seem to echo everywhere with different instruments; in various forms; even before the first "large brass announcement" - foreshadowing perhaps.

Awesome work Ron! - I really get the meaning; something or someone so profound getting lost or forgotten. Sometimes people loose sight and forget the past. - ... just my opinion.

Much enjoyed!

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music

Spectacular orchrestration. Very convincing with a sense of magnificence and sensuality. When i was hearing i visualized this forgotten heroes like mythological deities claiming for the return of their losted glory. The introduction announces you that a travel in a dream of magic and ancient divinities is going to coming.

Vancouver, BC

I think I must have heard an earlier version. This one seems different but it has been some time. The orchestration in this is very good.

There are many undertones. I can see the heroes as being veterans suffering from post-traunmatic stress disorder, just wandering about lost and forgotten, with jangled nerves, and cries for help ignored.

No matter how one interprets the scene and mood, it isn't a happy one. A very biting and powerful composition.

Well done.

There's a lot of substance to this piece. Very characteristic
    of it's title.

Recurring motive also adds to the meaning of your title. Great brass.
    Is it GPO?

Strings sound clear, Ron. Really nicely placed. You must have
    been wanting to really get into your music after that math

Liked the conclusive ending. A good "air" of finality.

, Ron

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

This is an impressive composition!

There's a Debussy sound to it, especially in the opening.

You certainly succeeded in creating an air of sadness and despair of heroes being forgotten...

Hope you had a good lunch!

I tried to get everyone to play that theme before the brass got to it. It is hard to hear in some spots, but it is there.

You got the meaning I was looking for in this one. Thanks.

Mr Key

That is another great interpretation of this. Thanks

You did hear an earlier presentation of this piece. I did a lot of work to it this past weekend, like doubling instruments and some rewrites. I also like your interpretation of the piece. Thanks

I was in the Math class for 6 weeks and had no time for anything except sleep (4-6 hours a night) and class and homework. They gave us 8-10 hours of homework a day. I did get paid to take the class though, so I can’t complain too much.

I did everything in the brass that THEY say don’t do. I had some parallel 5ths and parallel octaves using 6 horns. The 3 lower register horns are the GPO overlay ag horns and 3 in the higher register are the horns from EWQLSO Gold XP. Thanks

I don’t listen to a lot of Debussy nowadays, but I have in the past. For all I know, my subconscious mind may have borrowed heavily from him. Thanks for the Impressive.

Thanks to all

I liked the dreamy, Impressionistic quality of this, Ron;
    a sense of seeing through waves of water. Another
    member called it "sensual", and I agree with that

Well done!

David Sosnowski

I seem to compose many of my pieces that are somehow connected to water. I may name them something else, but the pieces always seem to remind me of being out to sea.

I guess all those years out to sea have made a bigger impact on me than I have realized.

If the piece is sensual, does that mean I am a sensitive guy. Do women still want sensitive guys? I hope to find out as soon as I graduate.

Thanks David

Go Back to forum