Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Mysterious Island - Jules Verne

Share/Bookmark

Cool The Mysterious Island - Jules Verne - Giant Bees

Hi everybody! Welcome to,

"The Mysterious Island" -

Time: 18:32 minutes

story:

The Mysterious Island follows the adventures of a group of castaways who use their survivalist savvy to build a functional community on an uncharted island.

A hot-air balloon carrying five passengers escapes from Richmond, Va., during the American Civil War. It is blown off course and deposited near an obscure island.

One of the castaways nearly dies after a skirmish with pirates; he is saved by the unexplained appearance of medicine after the pirates are unexpectedly routed. Very soon they discover that there are other inhabitants on the island - scary creatures like giant bees and deadly crabs. They manage to survive the dangerous attacks. The group later discovers that their secret helper is the reclusive Captain Nemo.

Nemo meets his final destiny when a sea monster attacks the Nautilus which gets severily damaged. The story ends with Captain Nemo playing organ for the last time while the Nautilus sinks into the deep of the ocean.

Fred

Re: The Mysterious Island - Jules Verne

I remember these Jules Verne movies.

The music goes well with the mood of the story which was adventurous and dark.

It sounds like a good mix here.

Phil

Fred,

Mysterious it is indeed!

I liked the strong dramatic theme in all its repetitive forms.

Jules Verne was one of my most favorite authors...

I've been wondering... how do you compose so much in such a short time?

Yudit

Cool Re: The Mysterious Island - Jules Verne

Quote Originally Posted by sunbird View Post
    Fred,

Mysterious it is indeed!

I liked the strong dramatic theme in all its repetitive forms.

Jules Verne was one of my most favorite authors...

I've been wondering... how do you compose so much in such a short time?

Yudit
    Hi Yudit, of course there's an explanation for this!

First of all it's GPO!

But let me go back to 1979 first.

At that time I played cello in an amateur orchestra and I took music theory lessons aswell! At that time I didn't know so much about chords and how they are related. But I did my 4 part voice exercises and one lucky day I had the opportunity to get one of my Mozart epigon works performed. That was a great boost for my creativity, after having slaved with writing out all the notes for my fellow musicians.

If I compare that with GPO! Wow, what a difference!
    One thing I have observed is that the more I write, the faster it gets! Somehow I also feel more satisfied now then 2 years ago, when I had to tweak a lot with trying to get the Sonar software work together with GPO...etc etc!

Thanks for sharing the trip to the MYsterious Island!
    I have just updated with a new 10 min version, lol!
    This one begins with The contrabasses and then comes the violas...etc etc!

Thanks for lending an ear, Yudit!

Fred

What in the world have you created Fred!

I am listening to the 10 minute version.

The opening half is so wonderfully dark, dreary, and haunting. Your brass writing sounds similar to an organ work. The fist theme is outstanding Fred. Further on, I know your telling a story - I am hearing some familiar themes about half way. And what in the world are those sound FX? Absolutely crazy and extraordinarily entertaining!

This is a work I highly recommend anyone to experience!
    Definitely a treat - perfect for Halloween too!

Wonderful work on this Fred!

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Fredrik:

From the opening chord, I could tell this would be a mysterious
    and haunting journey.

Nice modulations and "in and out" of different modes. That low
    bass does nicely to signify both treachery and solitude. Modulations
    remind me of Wagners harmonic adventures.

Very good writing here Fredrik. Liked the orchestration and the
    rendering, but, at first, I though I heard some overlapping notes
    here and there.

BRAVO
    , Fredrik

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Fredrik, I much enjoyed this -- you're so often at
    your very best when you are more restrained; and
    the fruits of your more considered thinking are so
    much more evident.

A fantastic job of scene-setting, of mood creation,
    very cinematic and visual, to me... but not just
    showmanship, here; some real craft, as well, in the
    compositional thought behind it.

All the best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    I remember these Jules Verne movies.

The music goes well with the mood of the story which was adventurous and dark.

It sounds like a good mix here.

Phil
    Hi Phil,

I have just updated the beginning! It's starts with the celli and then comes the violas...etc etc!

Yes, I like the movies! I have just bought "The Mysterious Island" on dvd, produced by Columbia Pictures.

Glad you enjoyed the trip!

Fred

Fredrik:

The beginning is great. It comes alive with the "imitation" changes
    you have inserted. This piece really grows on one the more they
    listen to it.

Really great, Fredrik.

BRAVO

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Cool Re: The Mysterious Island - Jules Verne

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor View Post
    What in the world have you created Fred!

I am listening to the 10 minute version.

The opening half is so wonderfully dark, dreary, and haunting. Your brass writing sounds similar to an organ work. The fist theme is outstanding Fred. Further on, I know your telling a story - I am hearing some familiar themes about half way. And what in the world are those sound FX? Absolutely crazy and extraordinarily entertaining!

This is a work I highly recommend anyone to experience!
    Definitely a treat - perfect for Halloween too!

Wonderful work on this Fred!

M
    Hi Michael,

After having composed a new introduction for this piece, I'm now in the middle of watching the old wonderful movie from the 50s called "The Mysterious Island". It features the American artist Ray Harryhausen.
    Ray Harryhausen uses a technique called "Dynamation", which is an earlier form of cinematic animation used in the 50s.

I love to watch the old classics! One of the reasons is that the composers from that time are so inspiring. (I'm thinking of Bernard Herrman.)

Bernard Herrman wrote the music. If you have not seen the movie, watch it! One can actually see the movie and just listen to Herrman's wonderful soundtrack. Bernard Herrman died in 1975 and his last soundtrack was for the movie "Taxi Driver", which all of us have seen!

So! Now you know why I also am inspired to sometimes used extra sound effects when I compose my orchestral stories.

Thanks Michael, for writing such a wonderful and inspiring review!

Halloween! Yes, I wish I could entertain as many kids today as possible with my orchestral stories. When I was 6 years old, my father used to take me too the movie pictures. We saw "20 Thousand Leagues under the Sea" and the fantastic 007 movie "Thunderball." Those old movies and their soundtracks have stayed in my mind for decades. Now I surf on those subconscious sound memories from the past when I write!

Fred

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast