• Register
  • Help

Topic: Outside the Box (for marching band)

Outside the Box (for marching band)

It's time for me to unleash yet another original composition for marching band. As always, music for competitive marching band tends to have a few extra requirements built in, namely in terms of pacing and visual flow. Even with those parameters, you can still compose original and fresh ideas that should otherwise be able to stand alone on their musical merits.

This show is entitled "Outside the Box". What's interesting is that it originally started out as a completely different show, but when the visual concept started to prove to be a bit of an issue, I found that I could easily take the music and make it work with another concept I had been thinking about for a while. I was originally planning on starting another show to this concept, but I will instead save those ideas and fragments for something else.

Unlike my George Orwell show, this is just music set to a single visual concept. No story here, just thematic development. All sounds are rendered with GPO, JABB, CAMB, and VDL. The essence of the show can for the most part be boiled down to one 3 note fragment: 5-8-9 (scale degrees). The show is in 4 movements that are intended to have very little pause between them at all.

Outside the Box
    View From Above
    The Fourth Wall
    Inside the Outside

I'm also going to be adding a new section to my webside that takes you through the general process of putting a show together from the very beginning to the last performance of the season at State Finals. It's still very much a work in progress and extremely incomplete, but it does show the thought process in putting the ballad together. You can read about it here.

I'm quite proud of this show. I feel like it is some of my best mallet and pit percussion writing yet. I'm currently in talks to get this sold to a much larger publisher than my own tiny little publishing house, here's hoping good things come from that. Hope you enjoy it.

Re: Outside the Box (for marching band)

Hey J.R.,

Wow, honestly ... WOW!
    The tension, drama, and grandeur of this work is top notch and would have anyone's attention at a show! I can only imagine what this would be like visually with the marching band. This is really one of your best and something definitely to be very proud about. I hope you do get the publishing deal - you and your hard work deserve it!

Great work!

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music

"Right out of the box" I was tremendously impressed with your marching
    band writing. Can't believe the drumbeats I was hearing. Just marvelous
    sound and such great fill-ins........Awesome.

The other short parts were equally entertaining and so well rendered.
    Loved the Latin flavor in "The Fourth Wall." Also, a little in the last

You do have a talent for writing for marching band JR. Send some more
    as I really enjoyed listening to your work.

, JR

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Thanks for the positive replies, I do appreciate it. Later on I plan on posting some live recordings for comparison. In the meantime, it's off to starting in on the commissions for NEXT fall. It never ends, but that's a good thing. The mortgage doesn't pay for itself.

Penfield (Rochester), NY

Great writing. And you are correct to day that marching band pieces require a little (or a whole lot) more than symphonic band works. For me it the percussion and rythem work that sets them apart. You certainly put everything into it, including the kitchen sink. Thanks for sharing it here.

It´s very impressive, almost epic. It sounds like the music of a magnificent and sophisticated spectacle. It reminds me the music of the Cirque du Soleil, with its magnificent character, colorful and colossal, combined with world music influences. Congratulations!.

Proud of this you should indeed be, J.R. This is
    great stuff!

Very, very well written (and rendered)... all four
    movements, a real pleasure to the ear.

Impressive work, my friend...

All the best,

David Sosnowski

Awesome. My tiny HS band never could handle anything nearly as good as this when I was there, sadly - and we didn't have a marching band in our college, even more sadly. This is great writing. The percussion sounds are fantastic. We might not have mastered the realistic sound of winds and strings in the digital world quite yet, but those percussion parts sound plain out realistic to my ears.

Best of luck getting it published and landing more gigs. You certainly have the right stuff if this is any indication.

Shelton, Washington State

Great percussion combined with first rate music. This sounds like material that will do well in that market.

It's aggressive but still very tasteful and imaginative.

trimpe, what awesome use you get out of Marching Band!

I bet you are having the time of your life with it, at least it sounds like it.

Go Back to forum