• Register
  • Help

Topic: gigasampler stability?

Share/Bookmark

gigasampler stability?

I just got GS today and installed it on my office computer(a dell p3/500 with a wavecenterPCI card) and took it for a test drive. I am trying to decide whether to get a new computer mainly to run GS in my studio. Although it is a gas to hear the gigapiano for the first time and load in samples in seconds, it also crashed repeatedly. I did try to resolve some conflicts ,like disabling my soundblaster which helped a little bit but it was still unstable.
    I guess my question is more a general one: once the kinks get ironed out, are people getting relatively stable usage with they\'re gigasamplers? Does having a computer dedicated to it without a lot of other software on there seem to help make it stable? Any info and or insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    dmann1
    P.S. Great user forum!!!

Re: gigasampler stability?

My system is stable now, but I had to get rid of my Sounblaster Live completely as well as a lot of software(and a new CPU and motherboard...). Got a second computer(MAC)for sequencing and audiorecording, but the PC with Giga still has other audio software on it, (a sequencer, SoundForge and bunch of Plugins). But the key seemed to be taking out my CreativeLabs DVD and Live from the PCI slots, and just using the Roland USB midi interface and a Gina audiocard. So far so good.

Sergievsky-
    Thanks for your reply. I guess if I have a computer built just to do GS I should be in pretty good shape. Any other users have any words of wisdom on this topic?

Thanks again.

Dmann1

Check the forum \"User Tips & Tricks\" for info on dedicating a PC to GS.

I use just ONE computer and the system workes quite stable. I have a P3-500 with 256 MB RAM and 2 UltraWide-SCSI Hardddisks, an Echo Layla Card and Cubase VST.
    I use multiclient mode and route Layla\'s outputs into her inputs with patch cables(but not eg. 5-out into 5-in). When mixing down I just record them in Cubase.
    Hope that helps.

I\'m having tremendously difficulty getting
    SBlive and Delta66 to work with Gigasampler.
    Is it true that SBlive should be thrown into
    the garbage in order for GS to work? I\'m getting a blue screen during bootup and
    I get blue screen whenever I choose GS as the MIDI output device from my sequencer. BTW,
    what is the model number for the Roland
    USB MIDI interface? Since I only use the
    SBLive anyway, if the ROland MIDI interface
    can solve my problem, I\'ll just ditch the
    SBLive. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sergievsky:
    My system is stable now, but I had to get rid of my Sounblaster Live completely as well as a lot of software(and a new CPU and motherboard...). Got a second computer(MAC)for sequencing and audiorecording, but the PC with Giga still has other audio software on it, (a sequencer, SoundForge and bunch of Plugins). But the key seemed to be taking out my CreativeLabs DVD and Live from the PCI slots, and just using the Roland USB midi interface and a Gina audiocard. So far so good. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do it all on one hefty p500 system, it\'s solid for me. I have a SB live value also, it doesn\'t get used for GS (the Dakota does that) but the drivers are always active, it hasn\'t been a problem. Early on, I had to shuffle PCI slots to get the SB not to share IRQs with the video or ethernet cards, and I had to figure out the things not to do with the instrument builder that can screw up GS. Also big instruments were problematic before 256M.

best wishes,
    -s

I use SB Live, Layla, and Cakewake 9.02 together with no problem once I installed Live ware 3.0 on a Celery 400 OC to 500 with 256 Meg Ram.

Good luck

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ken Carpenter:
    I use SB Live, Layla, and Cakewake 9.02 together with no problem once I installed Live ware 3.0 on a Celery 400 OC to 500 with 256 Meg Ram.

Good luck
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I agree with Ken. You don\'t really need a dedicated machine for Gigasampler. Just a bit of adjusting for software and gear. My favorite system right now has P3/500 128 meg RAM with a SB Live!, Roland SCC1 hardware MPU/synth legacy slot card, Gina, and multiple softwares. When I first loaded SB Live Liveware the system would not even boot. I disabled the SB16 \"Emulation\" feature in Control Panel Devices list and everything got happy again. No crashes. Remember the SB16 emulation is for DOS compatibility for old CD games.......
    BTW: although I love the Echo soundcards, the SB Live achieves virtually identical recording results and either card works great as wav source for the Gigasampler.

Hi All
    I have a pen 3 450 with 128 megs of ram , a sound blaster live card , a digital camera , cdr, cakewalk 9.0, alot of dx plug ins , 3 different hard drives , [a ide for the main operating system , a ata-66 for cakewalk and a ata-66 for giga sampler] and all seems to be working fine for now.But It took alot to get here , for instance , I had to take out the drivers for my multimedia keyboard , because it made my easy cd software freeze up,and I had to update from gigasampler 1.5 to 1.6 because the plug ins in cakewalk would lock up, and I had to change my video card from a intel agp 740 8 meg to a diamond agp 16 meg card because the intel would cause the studio panel function in cakewalk not to work . I put my computer together from scatch like a lot of you , and it took alot of trial and error to get there.
    Although my system seems to be temporarily stable , I think Im kinda pushing it , and Im asking my computer to do to much , with all that code for all that stuff there are bound to be some conflicts , it\'s just a matter of time , I feel like Im walking on eggs and hoping they don\'t crack.
    So here comes the question , Im a little new at this , so I dont know , If I want to split my hardware between two computers like giga sampler on one computer and cakewalk on the other , how do you guy\'s sync two computers , do you use those network cards ?And if so do you just use the cards or do you use that hub thing that goes between them .thanks , Ken

Go Back to forum