• Register
  • Help

Topic: piano roll and garritan

Share/Bookmark

piano roll and garritan

Forgive me if this is an issue I should be posting at Sonar's forum, but I vaguely recally reading something about this on this forum.

I cannot change note durations in the piano roll window - lengthening the note seems to have no effect on the duration of the sound. It seems to occur with my Garritan library libraries. I've tried physically lengthening it (streching it from the right side) as well as editing it in the note properties drop down.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mikul

Re: piano roll and garritan

Just a thought here.

Have you got the "snap" set to a specific note length. I had this recently in Cubase. You can set the note length and only that note length will work. Its supposed to be useful for drum parts and such like. I imagine Sonar will have a similar setting. Once turned off you can stretch the parts again.
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

I m a bit muddled myself, snap as you say jumps to the time grid but in Cubase you can set the note length to the time grid as well. More likely the track is locked for editing as you suggest, forgot about that.

As far as I can see theres not much difference between Cubase and Sonar other than superficialities, so what one does the other does

Derek
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Jon,

Since the transposition trouble, I've been strictly using vst. On this particular project, I did not have any MFX active, but I think you might be on to something with the "lock data" or the doubled notes - I have to check that out later.

I'll let you know.

Thanks!

Mikul

Hi Mikul,

There is a lock/snap-to-grid feature which might prevent you from humanizing or entering a custom duration by dragging in Sonar. The button looks like this in Sonar 7:

When blue it is enabled, but you can easily disable it for a time. Also, if you click on the triangle, you'll get the option to adjust your grid settings:

Hope this helps,

Reegs

Quote Originally Posted by jjloving View Post
    I'm curious how this locks anything to the grid settings - I don't see any mention of that in the documentation. Doesn't this allow you to move the note as a whole, or either end of it freely until the note is within so many ticks of the closest "snap point" at which time it is aligned with that point?

how would you use that to lock a specific note length based on grid settings?

between you and buckshead, I feel like I'm missing out on something

Jon
    You're not. I was just typing fast. As far as I know too, you can't lock (pin) it using the snap to grid. I meant it in the sense of locking to time.

Mikul, rereading your problem, the notes are always coming out too short, correct, but you are able to adjust the note length as seen in the piano roll view? Have you looked at the Length knob in KP2 and is it set to a near-default number? Also, perhaps there's a second, shorter note hiding on the same pitch underneath the first? In cases like that the overlap can cause the note to end early. You get the Note On command from the first (long) note, the Note On from the overlapped shorter one (which doesn't do anything because the note is already on), the Note Off from the overlapped shorter one (which ends the sound), and then another Note Off (which doesn't do anything because the note is already off).

Cubase operates slightly differently. Snap to grid does what it says,when writing on to the piano roll the notes always start on the grid, but the length is also set, either as a fixed length or as "Quantised" which here means the length is the same as the grid. You can easily change the grid and the note length either follows the change (Quantise length) or stays fixed.

Depending on the setting you then can't stretch the notes without turning of the snap lock.

Its partly used to enable ease of input. A long passage of 1/8 notes at 1/4 note spacing can be quickly set, then played one note at a time on the keyboard. The length and positions are preset and entered in the correct position and of the right length.
    Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs View Post

Mikul, rereading your problem, the notes are always coming out too short, correct, but you are able to adjust the note length as seen in the piano roll view? Have you looked at the Length knob in KP2 and is it set to a near-default number? Also, perhaps there's a second, shorter note hiding on the same pitch underneath the first? In cases like that the overlap can cause the note to end early. You get the Note On command from the first (long) note, the Note On from the overlapped shorter one (which doesn't do anything because the note is already on), the Note Off from the overlapped shorter one (which ends the sound), and then another Note Off (which doesn't do anything because the note is already off).
    Reegs,

Yes, I can graphically change the note, just not the actual sound. I opened a brand new project and everything is working fine with the piano roll lengths. I have to dig deeper into the existing project I an trying to edit.

I checked the "lock data" and that was not the problem. Additionally, I don't have overlaping notes. It must be something else. I'll keep digging and check to see if those snap properties have anything to do with it.

Thanks,

Mikul

More moral support than actually helpful...

I also have similar problems where something won't work correctly on a particular Sonar project, but works fine on all the other projects...

As an example, a song I'm working on right now, whenever I split a clip, the new clip on the left side of the clip lengthens some large number of bars. I have to pan right until the end and then drag the ending back the the right of the split point.

This is the only project it does it on. I've had other problems on other Sonar projects totally unlike this one...

Go Back to forum