• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: IRCAM Solo Instruments

Share/Bookmark

IRCAM Solo Instruments

Just found out about Ultimate Sound Bank's new VI. Anyone had any experience with it? Pretty interesting (and long) history of development. The demos sound quite interesting.

Re: IRCAM Solo Instruments

I just got it. I'm a bit underwhelmed after a quick test but I haven't really dug into it yet. I'll write a subjective review after I've gone through the whole thing.

The demos sound quite impressive.

Let us know, janila.
    Mac Pro Quad Core, 23" Apple Cinema, Logic Pro 8.x + VSL PRO Edition, some of the VI's, GPO, Ivory, Edirol UA-25 audio card, Event TR6 monitors, 1 girlfriend (Ines).

Quote Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
    The demos sound quite impressive.

Let us know, janila.
    Indeed they do! I would love to hear your experiences, too, Janila!

Cheers,
    Vincent

I'm very excited about this, too!! Didn't know about it until now...

Plz, tell us anything!!!

janila, are you running the library in UVI Workstation or in MOTU MachFive II?

Thank you.
    Mac Pro Quad Core, 23" Apple Cinema, Logic Pro 8.x + VSL PRO Edition, some of the VI's, GPO, Ivory, Edirol UA-25 audio card, Event TR6 monitors, 1 girlfriend (Ines).

Quote Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
    janila, are you running the library in UVI Workstation or in MOTU MachFive II?
    UVI. The 1.05b on the DVD is really bad but the 1.09b available online is better. Far from perfect though, at least the keyswitching doesn't seem to work as expected.

I still haven't had time to dive into the library but my first impression is that it's extremely shallow. No round robins, only 1-2 velocity layers, chromatic runs only in one key instead of a separate take for all 12 keys and so on. The effects are certainly the point why anyone would buy this library and there are real gems but no alternative takes, different tempi or dynamics and so on. The recording quality is good and so far everything seems consistent (maybe even too consistent in the VSL style) but that doesn't help when the actual content is very limiting. The library is about 15 gigs and I think there are 16 instruments which means less than a gig per instrument. That divided by the vast amount of articulations and there' isn't much left per articulation.

so your overall qualification is...?

I mean...being a contemporary student/composer/whatever... would you still recommend it?

Here are some additional observations:

UVI:

Overall the UVI seems to work but I have three major concerns.

1. The UVI seems to have a custom keyswitching system which is clearly an essential function. The bad thing is that it doesn't work. The ready-made KS patches do what is expected, but I can't get the UVI to change between normal patches. I can set up the keyswitches but pressing them won't change the articulation.

2. The UVI uses twice the memory for loading the same articulation twice.

3. The UVI doesn't seem to have any kind of scripting facilities which means that the IRCAM Solo Instruments is the only classical library I have that doesn't have any sophisticated means of connecting notes. VSL has sampled legato, PLAY and Kontakt use scripts. The UVI doesn't seem to offer either.

Here's a short summary of my thoughts about the library. I'll add more later and I can answer to questions.

Pros:

It includes string, woodwind and brass instruments plus guitar and accordeon. Total of sixteen instruments.

There are some nice effects that aren't available in any other library (as far as I know).

The quality of recording and playing is good. There's some noise in the quiet articulations.

The manual includes a part about notating the effects which is by far the coolest feature of this library.

Cons:

It's extremely shallow. I haven't found any round robins which is a big thing. This library is a machine gun construction kit, not a musical instrument. Other than that the basic articulations work but they aren't much compared to the quality offered by the big players. Some effect patches have only a single sample. There's three notes in 'Tuba Cuivre'. Three! There's only one ascending and one descending chromatic run per instrument in one dynamic and tempo. I mean one, not one per key. Flute multiphonics has 32 different samples, oboe multiphonics has almost the full keyboard mapped but most of the samples sound alike. The library has only the basic winds, not even bass clarinet, contrabassoon, english horn or piccolo.

Reverb is on by default in every patch.

No printed manual.

Requires an iLok. The authorization isn't automated but they responded quickly after I sent the email by adding the authorization to my iLok account. You can't resell the library.

Overall I'm disappointed. Most likely it will get some use and with some luck I might even get my money's worth but it's no bargain. I don't know how much using the name of IRCAM or the musicians costs but I feel that the bang-for-the-buck ratio is rather low for this library.

hmm... that is very disappointing. I really wanted to like this library! I guess it will be safer to purchase the Xsample Chamber Ensemble, which also has a "contemporary" set of sounds.

Thanks for reporting, and hopefully the library will be of any use to you after all.

Cheers,
    Vincent

Go Back to forum