• Register
  • Help

Topic: Cassandra - A Work Inspired by Euripedies' "Women of Troy"

Share/Bookmark

Cassandra - A Work Inspired by Euripedies' "Women of Troy"

This is a piece that I composed between late last year and early this year.

For those who are unfamiliar with the play, I'll provide a little background information. The play from which this piece was composed, The Women of Troy, was written by the Greek playwright, Euripides. The play is placed essentially right where Homer’s Illiad ended; Troy has fallen to the Greek invaders who sought after Helen, every last Trojan man has been killed, including their brave and honorable hero, and son of King Priam, Hector. The women and small children are the only Trojan people left alive in the city, and they are in Greek captivity.

The play focuses on the great women of Troy: Hecabe, the queen of Troy, Andromache, the wife of Hector, Helen, the stolen, or not so stolen, Greek princess, and Cassandra, Hecabe’s daughter and a princess of Troy. Cassandra is a consecrated virgin and priestess to the god Apollo. In Greek mythology, she had the gift of foresight, or prophesy.

This piece begins when Cassandra enters for the first time. She, among the other women of Troy, has been chosen to be the wife of one of her Greek captors. This man happens to be Agamemnon, king of all Greece, and the man who essentially destroyed their entire existence. Instead of wailing and weeping as she enters, however, she rushes in with two torches, loudly rejoicing.

She appears to have lost her mind; she is caught up in prophecy. Her mother and the other women look on at her in terror, wondering how she could possibly be rejoicing at the fact that her consecrated virginity will be lost, and she will be wed to their most hated enemy. Cassandra continues to run wildly around the room, and soon reveals her perceived consolation of Troy to her mother when she tells her of her prophesy, namely the jouney of the Odessy, how all of the Greek men are lost at sea for years, many of whom will not return home, while their wives and families wait for them in vain.

The play is a shorter read, and so I highly recommend it . This piece is scored for symphony orchestra with two harps and an oboe soloist. It uses the full version of GPO and Finale 2008's Human Playback.

http://www.box.net/shared/n8ttzhyulk

Re: Cassandra - A Work Inspired by Euripedies' "Women of Troy"

The times you are composing for have always intersted me. One of my favorite stories has always been the saga of Odysseus'

This piece tells its story very well.

Nice

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

A very enjoyable composition which tells the story well.

I like the quiet middle section especially which has a fine theme.

There is possibly too much of a difference in loudness between the opening and ending sections and the quiet middle. I adjusted the volume up a little for the middle section.

Thanks for sharing.

Herb

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    The times you are composing for have always intersted me. One of my favorite stories has always been the saga of Odysseus'

This piece tells its story very well.

Nice

Ron
    I really enjoyed the Odyssey as well. I hope to continue composing works based on these stories. I plan to do some more on The Women of Troy from a few sketches that I composed during high school. Should be an interesting project, and will definitely involve some re-reading, haha. Thank you very much for the kind comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Euler View Post
    A very enjoyable composition which tells the story well.

I like the quiet middle section especially which has a fine theme.

There is possibly too much of a difference in loudness between the opening and ending sections and the quiet middle. I adjusted the volume up a little for the middle section.

Thanks for sharing.

Herb
    I really enjoyed writing the middle section. I hope to expand upon it a bit more in later drafts. I was a little pressed for time when I originally wrote it for an audition, and now I'll have the time to do what I wanted with it, haha.

I agree about the volume difference. I think for a recording the levels should be a little closer, but if this were actually performed in a concert hall, I think I would prefer the dynamics to be as they are now (more or less, Finale didn't do everything I wanted it to, haha).

Thanks for listening.

Post Re: Cassandra - A Work Inspired by Euripedies' "Women of Troy"

Exciting Sonare,

I'm also a big fan of Greek mythology! I remember when I saw Birgit Nilsson for the first time in my life singing "Elektra"!

I was shocked by the gruesome story!

The ancient Greeks surely knew how to invoke "Catharsis!"

Thanks for sharing this dramatic epic!

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
    Exciting Sonare,

I'm also a big fan of Greek mythology! I remember when I saw Birgit Nilsson for the first time in my life singing "Elektra"!

I was shocked by the gruesome story!

The ancient Greeks surely knew how to invoke "Catharsis!"

Thanks for sharing this dramatic epic!

Fred
    Thank you for listening! I'm glad you enjoy the same time period as much as I do! There's a lot of interesting (and yes, some certainly gruesome ) stories and great philosophical ideas to think about. I've never heard Elektra, so I'll have to look into it. I'm glad you enjoyed my piece, thanks so much for commenting.

A very well done presentation of scene, SC, from an historical
    period that I've read much of... the sense of madness brought
    to this in second quarter is most effective -- especially brought
    into contrast with the sublime moments of calm and serenity...

Much enjoyed!

My best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I enjoy a lot listening it. The contrast between the two emotions are very well done, i like the serenity of the second theme, this harp and oboe sounds great, and the way you came back again to the darkness and destruction of the end is very effective. Congratulations!.

Tyler:

Reall good writing. Very definitely applies to your well-
    named title. I think this would be aptly applied to a
    cinematic setting. Very definite cues are contained in
    your piece.

Great work, Tyler

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum