• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Symphobia

Share/Bookmark

Symphobia

I checked out Symphobia today at Time & Space.

It's alright.

It's not really a players piece of kit though is it? How do you get any acceptable legato? Is there a trick to that?

Re: Symphobia

well, i havent gotten it myself yet either, but as its kontakt based, you can pretty much apply any legato scripting or programming feature yourself, if you got k3 ...theres quite alot of ways to smoothen out things.
    The Sips scripting stuff should be nice in there.

But yeah, it sounds nice, but sometimes i wonder... people are so impressed with the demos that they forget that every section is overdubbed with every additional voice played, so in the end it sounds very large and smooth , but also consists of 200 cellists.

But then again, this isnt realy a library for purists me thinks...
    the sound rawks tho, in any event.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
    I checked out Symphobia today at Time & Space.

It's alright.

It's not really a players piece of kit though is it? How do you get any acceptable legato? Is there a trick to that?
    I am going to order it at some point but as far as purists are concerned, it is another nail in the coffin for composers who apply traditional methodology. The one-note keyboard virtuosos will love this thing because it does the hard work for them. And credit to Marteen and the folks at Project SAM for recording some truly beautiful string samples. I find the strings excellent and I'll be using this for the ensembles mostly. The effects are not my thing as they are pre-packaged which kind of limits them. Remember those synth patches from the DX7 or D-50 or the Fairlight flute sounds in the '80s? Everyone used them so there was this generic feeling to much of the electronic music from that decade.

I envision hearing a lot of SAM presets from Symphobia in the next little while. Me, I'm going to mix it with VSL and EW with a dash of Omnisphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Pzy-Clone View Post
    but as its kontakt based, you can pretty much apply any legato scripting or programming feature yourself, if you got k3 ...theres quite alot of ways to smoothen out things.
    The Sips scripting stuff should be nice in there.
    Yes - but I noticed there is something called legato on the sampler interface and when clicked with the mouse I then played some medium paced runs that sounded anything but legato. Are there not any scripts already included with Symphobia that address the legato function?

Quote Originally Posted by Pzy-Clone View Post
    But yeah, it sounds nice, but sometimes i wonder... people are so impressed with the demos that they forget that every section is overdubbed with every additional voice played, so in the end it sounds very large and smooth , but also consists of 200 cellists.
    Right - so for orchestration purposes (i.e. a real orchestra) this piece of kit isn't going to be that useful. But useful for straight off the DAW and there's your sound type of thing. OK - I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by davecos View Post
    I am going to order it at some point but as far as purists are concerned, it is another nail in the coffin for composers who apply traditional methodology. The one-note keyboard virtuosos will love this thing because it does the hard work for them. And credit to Marteen and the folks at Project SAM for recording some truly beautiful string samples. I find the strings excellent and I'll be using this for the ensembles mostly. The effects are not my thing as they are pre-packaged which kind of limits them.
    It's always hard for keyboard players to remember the majority of musicians are not actually keyboard players The traditional interface has always been the keyboard.

When you say ensembles - you basically mean playing chords I'm guessing right?

The effects just got my nerves actually and I ran through that as quickly as possible.

All in all - a very well recorded sound - no question about that. To me though - it's got 'sale' price written all over it. Mind you - what hasn't these days.

"Right - so for orchestration purposes (i.e. a real orchestra) this piece of kit isn't going to be that useful. But useful for straight off the DAW and there's your sound type of thing. OK - I understand."

yeah, thats pretty accurate i would say.

Possibly quite annoying, having done something in Symphobia, then having to redo it with proper orchestration , and trying to figure out what all the ensemble pathces are doing.

Sounds great tho.

The "Fat" sound of a 70 piece orchestra is what most of us don't have a budget for. I'm not scoring ET any time soon. A quartet or a small room of players I COULD afford. So doing the solo and articulate stuff for real and the beef virtually, sounds logical to me. This should be how a lot of music is done. If I were a library-designer, that's the niche I would go for.

The ensembles would be good for sketching out ideas and providing very good sound mock-ups for clients. I'll be honest- when I'm writing some string parts, I am using an 88 note controller with a combi patch in something like HALion Strings or Appassionata Strings for the basic harmonic motion and voice leading. Then I will break down each part and add more counterpoint and passing notes to make it sound more animated, if that is the sound and style I am going for. Sometimes, simple homophonic string chords work well under an oboe solo or something like that. This is where I can see the value in Symphobia. It is by no means a straight out replacement of the VSL's or EWQLSO's of the world. But its sonic awesomeness certainly can add an extra dimension. I do wish it were priced at $999 (US) because it is a little hard to rationalize spending this type of cash on ensemble patches. But what the heck. Supply and demand. Lotsa guys are buying it and the strings sound awesome. So do the brass.

I have no problem with the Kontakt player. I use K3 and it's great.

The ensembles would be good for sketching out ideas and providing very good sound mock-ups for clients. I'll be honest- when I'm writing some string parts, I am using an 88 note controller with a combi patch in something like HALion Strings or Appassionata Strings for the basic harmonic motion and voice leading.

I can't see anyway of using Symphobia for voice leading - obviously it's not meant to do that. So I guess you would have to use other sample libraries to observe those kind of parts.

The strings are always the first thing. The strings sound quite good at certain registers - but I can't see how they could be used in a VSL way for instance, at this point.

I can play multi part inventions (had to when I was the music program at university) so I am sure that one can observe proper voice leading by playing contrapuntally at the keyboard. Bach had no problem doing so (not that I fancy myself as JS but i did have to play through and study his stuff).

Anyhow, it is possible to multitrack some of these ensemble patches by playing in different registers at each go around. Yes, in the strictest sense, it still isn't the same as working through each section one by one but it approximates what one is after.

Sadly, the Zimmer clones of the world will just play big unison minor chords and will get a false sense of their abilities because the samples are so good.

Sadly, the Zimmer clones of the world will just play big unison minor chords and will get a false sense of their abilities because the samples are so good.
    I'm not gonna lie. I firmly fall into that category.

I know Symphobia hasn't made me a better composer. It's just that I sound a lot better now. And now in only a fraction of the time it used to take me, I can completely wow a director! Nice feeling.

-Alex

Go Back to forum