• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT - Hurricanes in Ohio!!!

Share/Bookmark

OT - Hurricanes in Ohio!!!

I've been offline for the past 3 days. It seems that Hurricane Ike, before it eventually died, passed through our area (greater Cincinnati) Sunday afternoon with sustained winds of 70+ mph which lasted for about 4 hours (but very little rain!) When it finally subsided, around 6:00 p.m., there were approximately 800,000 people without power. Compounding the problem was that the local power company had sent half of their work force to Texas to assist in the recovery efforts there. As of this afternoon they are saying a little less than 200,000 people are still without power. My power was out for 3 days and I lost all of the food in my refrigerator and freezer. But, on the bright side, I'm okay and the cats hardly can tell that anything has happened. Lots of trees are gone along with a lot of roofs but my old house survived okay.

The weather the past 3 days has been really mild which has really helped people in the cleanup effort.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

Re: OT - Hurricanes in Ohio!!!

I'm in Ohio too, but I'm the lucky one. Just had phone service out for a day. I still have friends with power out for 3 days and one poor unfortunate friend who had a 200 year old oak tree decide to redo his porch, kitchen and dining room by dropping in. It was $8000 alone to remove the tree from the house.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

We could have used the rain. We're in something of a semi-drought here.

The schools have also been closed: at first because of the power outages but then because all of the food they had in the kitchens had to be disposed of and it takes a lot of time to restock all of the schools. Some of the grocery stores suffered a lot of spoilage as well. I heard one store lost $375,000 of meat and produce.

We're getting back to normal . . . slowly but surely.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

Marion Ohio, here.
    We had the 70mph winds, too.
    As I was coming home from Columbus, Sunday, a large oak tree up the road a bit began to fall onto the road. I slowed the car. Then I noticed that the tree hit a telephone pole. The pole also broke and began to fall.
    I slowed even more. Then I noticed that the high power lines on the pole were directly above the car, and we were going to be zapped!

I accelerated and we drove under the tree and the pole as they were still falling. We avoided the power lines and the tree, but not by much.

Thankful to be alive to tell this story.
    It's a Viking thing.

Go Back to forum