• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Lost Mozart score found in France

Share/Bookmark

Lost Mozart score found in France

A previously unknown piece of music by Mozart has been discovered at a library in western France.

Ulrich Leisinger, head of research at the International Mozarteum Foundation in Austria, said the single sheet of music was "really important".

"His handwriting is absolutely clearly identifiable," he added. "There's no doubt that this is an original piece handwritten by Mozart."

The sheet was found among the archives by staff at a library in Nantes.
    Mr Leisinger said the municipal Mediatheque library contacted his foundation to ask for help authenticating the work.

More here

Re: Lost Mozart score found in France

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen View Post
    Some elitists would think that a compilation of these adagios from longer pieces are "blasphemous" because they are excerpts from whole works
    Repent, blasphemer!
    Regards Danial Zainali
    ___
    Reinvent powdered wigs!

Well count me amongst the blasphemers. I don't like much Mozart at all. I can tell it's perfectly crafted and all that, but it simply bores me to death. It never seems to have teeth; even when it's trying to be aggressive it's still all a bit twee. And so many million hours of piano concertos that all sound the same. Then there's that Ave Maria, which is simply a disaster - if one of my students handed me that setion of canon in 3rds I would ask him to try again.

On the other hand, the bits that move me really do move me. I could listen to the Introit and Kyrie from the Requiem endlessly.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    It never seems to have teeth; even when it's trying to be aggressive it's still all a bit twee.

On the other hand, the bits that move me really do move me. I could listen to the Introit and Kyrie from the Requiem endlessly.
    Hahahahaha, I was just about to ask if you had listened to the Requiem when I read your comment about Mozart's works never having teeth. You can't overlook the Dies Irae for teeth as well, or perhaps the Confutatis.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonare Coeli View Post
    Hahahahaha, I was just about to ask if you had listened to the Requiem when I read your comment about Mozart's works never having teeth. You can't overlook the Dies Irae for teeth as well, or perhaps the Confutatis.
    Yeah, but I find that the aggression in them becomes a bit bland through the sheer predictaibility of them; they're worked out like clockwork.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen View Post
    Yea, maybe so, but Bach and Mozart CREATED "clockwork." They were PAID to write music that appealed to the masses. You have to put that in that perspecitve.
    Oh, don't get me wrong -I wouldn't criticise Mozart for a second. I realise he wrote to order, and I do appreciate the incredible genius in his music. And I know nothing else from the period can touch him. It just doesn't float my boat, and putting it in perspective doesn't make it any more exciting to listen to. I do listen to a great deal of Mozart for study purposes, but very little for pure enjoyment.

It's a bit like Kraftwerk. What they did, with what they had, was pure genius, and I appreciate them in historical context - but I can't listen to them. Now their music sounds like someone taking the cheapest Bontempi keyboard and playing very badly on it, whilst applying totally indiscriminate flangeing to everything.
    David

Post removed .. misunderstanding.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Quote Originally Posted by squoze View Post
    I think he was referring to Kraftwerk, not Mozart, in that quote.
    Thanks for your reply.

If this is the case then I apologise to Pingu and withdraw my comments.
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk View Post
    Thanks for your reply.

If this is the case then I apologise to Pingu and withdraw my comments.
    No probs Michael. And no disrespect is meant at all in my post. In fact I have nothing but respect for both Mozart and Kraftwerk. I even make repeated attempts to like listening to their music, but I always end up back with Beethoven and Jean Michel Jarre.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    ... but I always end up back with Beethoven ..
    Hello Pingu,

Ahhh .. Beethoven .. now you're talking.
    Michael

Go Back to forum