• Register
  • Help

Topic: Wow! Headphones!!

Share/Bookmark

Wow! Headphones!!

I bought some headphones this week (Sennheiser HD600s) so that I can continue to work during the period where my girls are getting to sleep. To be honest I didn't expect much - I figured I could use them for composing, but probably not getting the mix right or anything.

Tried them out tonight, and was utterly bowled over. The bass was just incredible, to the extent that I was genuinely convinced I was feeling it through the floor, and had to check that the sound wasn't still coming out of my subwoofer as well. If anything, other than the lack of a real stereo image, I feel I'm hearing the mix better than on my monitors.

Sorry about the OT; I just had to share my excitement. Wish I'd got headphones years ago.
    David

Re: Wow! Headphones!!

Yup!

Got the very same headphone (HD600) 4 years ago, when I got my computer, when I moved to London and placed my new computer in the living room! I knew at the same instant that I couldn't have any monitors, so I got the best headphones I could buy! The HD650 had only been out for a few days and there was no reason to go for them really!

Have to say that I'm immensly happy with the headphones and I still use them very much so, even with the £1500 monitors I have nowdays!

Good buy Dave! Hope you'll enjoy them! (watch for the cable connections. It's said to be untrustworthy, but nothing's really happened over here)

Really good headphones will always yield more detail and accuracy with regard to frequency response than monitors. I always use headphones any time I am editing. I would never recommend using ONLY headphones. It is imperative that you mix on your monitors, and then verify that mix in the headphones.

There is something to be said for the experience that headphones allow.
    Glad to hear you bought good headphones. I don't have that model, but I suppose they are great. Although I did hear some Sennheiser headphones once that were expensive but sounded horrible.
    Dan

Last year I bought the Beyerdynamic DT 770 headphones - not cheap but very nice and comfortable for long working sessions. Helps me keep from driving my wife crazy when composing.
    MacPro 2.66 - Tiger & Snow Leopard / 16GB RAM / several TB of HD space/ Garritan Libraries / EWQLSO Platinum PLAY / Omnisphere/ Kontakt 2 & 3 / Finale 2010 /DP5/ a VERY patient wife!

Headphones are a very good thing. I use my Sennheiser HD 280 pro extensively. But there is a caveat! Be careful of the volume. You can seriously degrade your hearing if you are not careful.

Richard

I bought HD650 headphones a couple of years back and love them.

I have a pair of hd580's - which are largely the same drivers and components as the 600's.

They really need a good amp though to get them going. Right now, I only get the goods out of my 580's when they're plugged into a late 70's marantz amp which I use to play LP's. Scarily good, big detailed soundstage. Magic.

I'd have to say though, just plugged into my soundcard, they're nothing too special.

I have AKG 240's and love them. For my own listening pleasure, I would always pick headphones over speakers.

The usual warnings against headphone mixing are that the bass response and stereo field are very different than speakers.

But, nowadays, given the incredible popularity of iPods and other portable devices, I wonder if we should be mixing for headphones?

- k
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

Yeah theres something especially good about the Marantz preamps for turntables. A good condition, non-digitally-mastered LP, into the vibrant warm amp and into the Sennheisers - well its my favourite listening experience for classical, outside of a good concert of course. You dont need (relatively) big bucks for this setup either.

With the HD600's - they really need a good amp (but not necessarily very expensive) - either dedicated for headphones or not - to make them sing anywhere close to their potential.

Thats not audio-phile wannabee rubbish talk there either!

Quote Originally Posted by indianamusic View Post
    Last year I bought the Beyerdynamic DT 770 headphones - not cheap but very nice and comfortable for long working sessions. Helps me keep from driving my wife crazy when composing.
    YES!! I got the 770 in June--very pleased!!
    Snor.
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Go Back to forum