• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Problems , for String Orchestra, featuring a bit of the strad!

Share/Bookmark

Problems , for String Orchestra, featuring a bit of the strad!

Hellos!

This is one of the very few times I create a thread here. However I was particularly happy with the way the solo violin turned out and thought that I'd like to share it.

This piece is called "Problems", and it is for a small string orchestra. A comission from The Octava Chamber Orchestra to be performed on the 2nd of November in Seattle (hope to attend there, probably already know that).

Either way linkies:

www.nikolas-sideris.com/Stuff/Problems.mp3 (music, around 8 MB)
    www.nikolas-sideris.com/Stuff/Problems.pdf (score, less than 1 MB with an ugly watermark in the middle, sorry )

Story behind the name:

Aristotle, wrote quite a few books before dying. Very few have been salvaged. One of them deals with the various 'problems'. In one of those problems (physiological usually), he deals with the nature of bad, as he calls it, sound and how the good sound can take away the bad one, if the volume is right. How the sound itself kicks the other sounds out. In other words (a bit more modern), how the human mind can concetrate on the 'important' stuff, leaving out the unimportant.

Well, that's it. A test, with dissonance and consonance, to see what's important to each of you and what's not!

The strings are the big ba ba boom fat EW libraries (sorry), but the solo violin is brilliant little strad! I definately don't like the sound of the strings too much, for this type of music, and much more since I know that the live setting has less than 14 players in all, while in my rendering the 1st violins have 18 already!

Either way, enjoy...

Re: Problems , for String Orchestra, featuring a bit of the strad!

Nikolas:

Excellent contemporary writing. The rendering is also very
    well done.

I congratulate you on your upcoming performance and hope
    it is a great success. I'm sure the orchestra will do a very
    fine job playing your composition.

BRAVO
    , Nikolas

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

A most enjoyable composition - and the production is good too.

I like the clarity of structure with all the ideas well-defined. Definitely my kind of contemporary music. It should "wow" the audience when performed live.

Bravo from me too!

Herb

Thank you.

Myself, I'm not too pleased with the rendering but it serves its purpose. Since it will be performed live, I just couldn't bring myself to worry too much about the rendering. (I was immensly surprised by the quality of the strad, even if I didn't spend more than 2 hours on it! The gliss, port and other articulations makes it a unique instument).

I'm glad to know that you enjoyed the work. It is contemporary and rather thought provocing I hope!

Again thanks for listening and posting

Nikolas

Like I said before, This one is just horrible. You should have studied Math instead of music. Only real Mathematicians can compose this kind of crap.

I do hope you read my post in the other place first!!

BTW

I have a new one here (different from the other) as well.

You will feel right at home in Seattle. It rains there just as much as it does in London, maybe more, (I don't know about Greece).

Well done

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Great work. Thanks.

brsmith
    www.brsmusic.net

Well, I don't see any "problem"with this. It was great! The rendering and recording really helped to bring out the piece. Yes it could be better, (I always think that about my stuff as well) but it was not bad either!

I enjoyed listening to this. Hope you will post more and good luck with the performance!

Del
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

Congratulations on the forthcoming performance, Nikolas!

And on the piece. (A side comment -- with the sparser
    orchestra of the performance, the better precision and
    detail that will give, I think this is really going to shine.)

I listened through this three times, my friend. A fascinating
    piece, not only in its genesis (Aristotle), but also in its
    conception and execution. I don't think I really "got it"
    all until that third listen; so I hope others will take extra
    time with it, as well.

The rewards are well worth it! Superb, highly original
    contemporary writing in this, Nikolas. It's going to be a
    knock-out, live... I hope you'll be able to bring us a
    recording of it.

All the best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

David.

Many thanks for listening and 3 times (!!!)

The mp3 is not exactly rewarding I do feel that, so I do hope to get a good recording from the concert and be able to post it!

And thanks for the congtrats on the comission! It feels SO good to be recognised like that somehow. And it is an opportunity to visit Seattle which I most certainly will!

Ron, many thanks. I got your other post and replied! And I did see your weird conspiracy thread and replied there as well! Thanks! (and you know I love math as well! )

Del: Thanks so much for posting and for listening and for appreciating. I don't use many Garritan products so I cannot really post much (I wouldn't want to that is, I'm sure that Gary won't "mind" but then again why take advantage of such a kind person?), but there are a few other posts in the listening room by me, so feel free to search my threads and see what else you can find.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast