• Register
  • Help

Topic: Guitar Synth/Omnisphere...question for Eric

Share/Bookmark

Guitar Synth/Omnisphere...question for Eric

Hi Eric. I do not play keyboards so I use a Godin Synth Access guitar and the Axon AX100MkII guitar to MIDI converter. The plan was to use this setup write into Sibelius 5 and also compose filmtrack type material. I run Pro Tools 7 in an Intel Mac Pro Quad 2.66GHz with 2 Gig of memory.

I was told by the salesman that Atmosphere would run great in my setup, all I had to do was download the wrapper. So I purchased it at the original price and had all kinds of problems, it made Pro Tools very unstable, lot's of crashes...just poor performance. I was so bummed because the sounds were just gorgeous.

So I took it back and Illio approved a refund.I put my refund away and swore I would get Omnisphere as soon as it came out in a years time. I bought mine on release day and signed up for a seminar you are doing. I have not opened it yet, I am unsure whether I will face similar issues.

My questions are.....can I expect better performance all around from Omnisphere, especially in the area of how hard it taxes the computer?

Does it perform well in Pro Tools? Have you done any testing using guitar synths?

What would happen before was I would get such severe latency I would have to reduce the Pro Tools hardware buffer down to 256 which would then affect the ability of Atmosphere to perform well. I would get errors and crashes. I would also have to set the amount of voices down to 5 or 6 or I would get noises.

I am still expecting latency with the Axon...I am hoping with Omnisphere redesigned completely for Universal Binary that it will be running at a more efficient level in general.Unforunately all guitar synths have latency so I am stuck there.

So other than learn how to play the keyboards, do you have any thoughts?

Sorry for the long winded post and thanks.

Re: Guitar Synth/Omnisphere...question for Eric

You will definitely get VASTLY better performance with Omnisphere. Atmosphere wasn't meant to be run on intel machines. The workaround they came up with was really buggy and unstable (because of the way they had to do things).

Atmosphere instances were crashing and overloading my system constantly, while I haven't even had a single system overload with Omnishpere. Open that sucker up, you will not be disappointed!

Thanks Thunder! That was really inspiring. Appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lister Coleman View Post
    I bought mine on release day and signed up for a seminar you are doing. I have not opened it yet, I am unsure whether I will face similar issues.
    You won't. :-)

My questions are.....can I expect better performance all around from Omnisphere, especially in the area of how hard it taxes the computer?
    Yes.

Does it perform well in Pro Tools?
    Yes.

Have you done any testing using guitar synths?
    No, but that should not be any problem.

What would happen before was I would get such severe latency I would have to reduce the Pro Tools hardware buffer down to 256 which would then affect the ability of Atmosphere to perform well. I would get errors and crashes. I would also have to set the amount of voices down to 5 or 6 or I would get noises.
    Yeah, the wrapper option should never have been recommended to you. Pro Tools with the wrapper performed the poorest and latency was the biggest issue with the wrappers too.

So it's too bad that was your first experience!

I am hoping with Omnisphere redesigned completely for Universal Binary that it will be running at a more efficient level in general.
    It is indeed. :-)

Thanks so much, I really appreciate it and I am typing the last period and heading to my studio to install. I will see you at Ilio on Saturday 27th....hope to get to say hello.

Thanks.

Go Back to forum