• Register
  • Help

Topic: Aleatoric Music Notation in Finale

Share/Bookmark

Aleatoric Music Notation in Finale

Hey everyone,

I'm currently working on the score to a piece of mine which contains a few aleatoric music elements, namely the repetition of a short phrase ad libitum until a certain measure is reached. I thought that it would be relatively simple to create in Finale 2009, but apparently not. Anyone have any ideas on how to put this in Finale (and, if possible, have it play back even close to correctly)?

Thanks a ton,

Ken

Re: Aleatoric Music Notation in Finale

There are lots of ways to do this. It's been a while since I've had to, but several years ago I did a piece that had a passage like you have, where a short fragment is repeated "out of tempo." I did it by inputting the repeated fragment in standard notation, adding repeat signs as graphics (maybe as note-attached expressions, I'm not sure now), and adding a wavy line with the smart shape tool.

As far as playback is concerned, I don't think there's any way to get Finale to interpret this directly. You might be able to do this with an extra staff, entering notation as usual then hiding the staff with a staff style. But I don't know how well this would work or whether it may be more trouble than it's worth.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Something like this you mean?

Like Dan said, these are all note attached expressions, created with the graphic tool. Playback is NOT affected. And you can move the notes around and create the repetition sign as well (the barline), or you can put "hiden" triplet definisions (like 5:7 or whatever) and move the notes this way.

Beautiful work, Nikolas! That must have taken quite a while!
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Nikolas,

That is exactly what I'm looking to do...I've figured out a solution to playback for now, but I'm having difficulty creating the repeat/line figures you have in your score. Can you help to point me in the right direction?

Thanks again,

Ken

Go Back to forum