• Register
  • Help

Topic: Cubase SX3 reduced memory

Share/Bookmark

Cubase SX3 reduced memory

Hi,

I've been using Cubase SX3 with VSL solo strings to do a string quartet, but I always run out of memory. Is there a way to keep some of the plugins from loading so that I mave more ram available for samples? Basically all I am using is VSL and SIR (4 instances each), so I really do not need anything else. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Paul

Dell vostro 1500, T7300 core 2 duo, 2GB ram

Re: Cubase SX3 reduced memory

Why not do a bit at a time. When entering the notes you don't need the SIR so turn it off, in fact you probably don't need VSL to enter the notes. Why not use a simple sound font or similar to get the midi all in. Then edit one track at a time using VSL and a SIR to get the sound you want, export this to audio and transfer everthing to the next track. Repeat for all four tracks and mix down at the end in the Cubase mixer.

I always use a standalone sound box from YAMAHA (its like SWG sound card). This will enable you to hear a rough sound as you enter the Midi then fancy it up afterwards (but in bits). You can also mute tracks you are not using, not in the inspector, that just makes them silent but with the X mute on the track itself. When this is done, the track is ignored and uses no resources.
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Hi Derek,

That is basically what I am doing now. I notate in finale with GPO strings, apply human playback and import the midi file into Cubase for tweaking (mostly tempo but others for the GPO-VSL differences as well). Here is where I enter the keyswitches. The matrices that I use in VSL are just frequently too big. I need so many articulations to get a good sound that I run out of memory even working on one track at a time and either freezing or at least optimizing (the parts usually reduce under 50MB this way) the rest. The violin matrix is over 1GB when fully loaded. It eats ram when you use an articulation for only a couple of notes. It is hard to work without SIR since the convolution gives such a flavor to the sound itself. The other plugins I could do without, but I just cannot find any reference to eliminating them. Thanks for listening,

Paul

Three things to consider:

1) Get more RAM and use the /3 gig switch
    2) Use a mixture of Vi and VE
    3) get a PC with 8GB RAM and use XP64 with VE in Cubase 32bit.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
    Three things to consider:

1) Get more RAM and use the /3 gig switch
    2) Use a mixture of Vi and VE
    3) get a PC with 8GB RAM and use XP64 with VE in Cubase 32bit.

D
    Hi Daryl,

Its a laptop and the 2gb sticks are unavailable at the moment (I've already upgraded to 2gb from 1gb), I have 4GB on my desktop and run XPpro with the 3gb switch, and like it (my computer builder talked me out of XP64 with sx3-said it was not certifiable, but I can still go there since the MB will take 8GB). Unfortunately I mainly get to work on vacation and only have the laptop. Would ensemble help with ram on the laptop rather than using VI as a vsti in Cubase? Thanks for the comments,

Paul

I don't think that VE would really help on your laptop, as you have so little RAM anyway.

As far as your computer builder is concerned, he/she is correct that SX3 is not certified to use with XP64. However, the only thing that I've found not to work is EW Wordbuilder. I'm sure that there are other things, but I don't use them.

FWIW I'm using mainly Nuendo 4 in XP64, and my template of VSL is around 14GB. :>)

D

Go Back to forum